Need help with my transgo shift kit

-

67cuda360

Reaction score
I'm installing my transgo shift kit and i can't seem to figure out how to complete the last step. How do i take the L/R piston out of the bore? attached are 2 pictures. The piston in question is shown in the red circle.

Is there a way to take that arm off so that i can take the piston out?
if so, how do i do it?

Also how do i tell if i have a single wrap band or double wrap band, apparently the adjustment specs are different.
(adjustment specs, shown in yellow marker on the image)

transgo-1.jpg

transgo-2.jpg

loosen the adjuster and back it out all the way, then you should be able to swing it out of the way. If not you would have to pull the extension housing off but I'm pretty sure if you just back the adjuster it will swing out enough. I did mine on a bench all torn down.

loosen the adjuster and back it out all the way, then you should be able to swing it out of the way. If not you would have to pull the extension housing off but I'm pretty sure if you just back the adjuster it will swing out enough. I did mine on a bench all torn down.

Thanks camd64,
I tried that but it won't swing back far enough to pull the piston out. Pulling it back only seems to tighten the band.

.........U never have to pull off the extention housing.............u need 2 screw drivers 1 to push up on the band and the other to pop out the strut.......its alittle tricky....kim..........

I'll give that a go, anyone know how to identify the bands..? (posted above in the picture, marked in yellow on the instructions) I'm not sure what they mean with "...the double wrap band has three sections across"

That's a single wrap low/rev band. As was said, you need to remove the flat bar that connects the band to the lever by loosening the adjuster and then "applying" the band with a screwdriver. Then the bar will fall out and the lever can be rotated out of the way. Getting it in can be fun on your back but it's not difficult. Just make sure it is propoerly positioned in the band and lever, then put back the adjuster screw.

Good luck with the install of the TransGo kit.In all the years I,ve played with cars,not once have I opened up a transmission.Maybe when I get more time,as I,m interested to try it.Good Luck,your gonna like the shifting!

Good luck with the install of the TransGo kit.In all the years I,ve played with cars,not once have I opened up a transmission.Maybe when I get more time,as I,m interested to try it.Good Luck,your gonna like the shifting!

Didn't your transmission almost open up for you a few days ago...? :)
I saw your thread, glad you didn't get hurt on the strip.

Just wanted to thank everyone for their responses. The transmission is all back together and it shifts great with the new shift kit. Thanks guys.

Didn't your transmission almost open up for you a few days ago...? :)
I saw your thread, glad you didn't get hurt on the strip.
Yes it opened up after removal,when I was under the car giving the tranny a wiggle back a piece of the housing fell out.LOL.My NEW tranny will go back in this week.:cheers:

Just wanted to thank everyone for their responses. The transmission is all back together and it shifts great with the new shift kit. Thanks guys.
................Glad u got it going...........see it really isnt that hard 2 do after all........kim..............

Yeah glad it is all back together and working well. I would definitely recommend getting a few repair manuals when attempting the shift kit. I have all of them for the 71 cutlass i sold a few months ago but haven't bought them yet for the barracuda. I guess that'll be the first thing on my list LOL.

"Pettybludart", glad to hear you'll have her up and running again this week.

-
Back