Need Help With Sb 727 Cover

-

billkrz

Reaction score
Had my car (1968 GTS Dart with 340 and 727) on the lift at the shop today and noticed that there was no cover(dust shield) at the bottom of my transmission. Looked at the FABO site and several online suppliers and I got really confused. Someone posted a photo on FABO that showed the plate with a cutout for the starter. Someone else pointed out Mancini Racing which has a SB 727 cover listed but it looks completely different (no starter hole) just flat across the top.
Which is correct or can you use either? Anyone have the correct one for this application?
Thanks, Bill

Here's what I'm referring to: Mancini Racing is showing this as a photo for a SB 727 cover:
chucker54_2014_1530536

Another parts vendor is showing this:
11a7_1_sbl.JPG

Were both types used? I have a 1968 GTS with a 340 and 727.
Thanks,
Bill

I believe you can use either one. The one with the hole requires you to drop the starter and the flat one does not. I would think that's why it was made. I'm not positive but, I remember a post not long ago that there were no issues using the flat one.

Uh Oh...I'm getting different answers. Anyone else....
Thanks,
Bill

I had a cover when mine went to the shop. They changed the tourqe converter, the converter bolts were hitting the cover so they left it off.

I have a brand new never used cover for sale PM me. I think I paid $37 for it. You can have it for $28 + shipping

Hmm...that's interesting. Which cover did you have?
I see that BillKay Chrysler online is selling the one with the starter hole for $17.00. This doesn't have the small inspection cover but that doesn't really bother me as I don't want a rock to pop in and trash my tranny.

Bill

Here's what I'm referring to: Mancini Racing is showing this as a photo for a SB 727 cover:
chucker54_2014_1530536

Another parts vendor is showing this:
11a7_1_sbl.JPG

Were both types used? I have a 1968 GTS with a 340 and 727.
Thanks,
Bill

Yes they were. If you don't have one or the other you will need both pieces. The bottom piece mounts vertically between the tranny and the block. The top piece mounts horizontally to fill in the gap between the vertical piece and the bellhousing.

Top is for big block and bottom for small block. I spent 18 years at a chrysler dealership, with the last 8 doing automatic transmissions. The big block one has a seperate shield that fits around the starter. The small block on has the bigger holes at the bottom to attach the brackets that go from the side of the engine block.

kenny b

Well, I heard back from Mancini. Turns out their photos are wrong and indeed the bottom photo is correct for a SB 727 as many of you said.
Looks like you need to drop the starter to get this plate on (with the trans on the car).
Are there any other "tricks" I should be aware of?
Any special bolts?
I see the original cover had an inspection plate which the new ones do not.
Is that a big deal?
Thanks for your help.
Bill

Do you have a stall convertor in the Dart? That may be why the cover is gone. I could'nt reuse mine after. The bottom one looks just like the one I had 340 with 727.

Bill, in the day, many folks use to trim the starter side away so they didn't have to remove the starter to pull the dust shield off. Usually, there was no problem with engagement of the teeth. The small "inspection" opening was to access the convertor bolts and for those who added drain plugs. It depends on how correct you want to be here but just to keep the front of the trans buttoned up, the new shield would be fine. Whether you cut up the starter side is up to you.

-
Back