need help with some minor body work

-

DRENO

Reaction score
I could use some direction on how to do this.I made a boo boo on the pass side quarter,that's as much as you need to know about that, and I am trying to fix it.I have 2 spots to take care of,as you can see.

203_1061f.jpg

A better shot of the top scratch

203_1062f.jpg

I bought this today from one of our body shop supply companies.

203_1064f.JPG

I do have a couple of dents to deal with but not too sure how to handle those either.I guess what I am saying is that I have an idea of how to do this but I would like someone who knows how to tell me.Any help is appreciated or else I just take a run at it.Was hoping to do this while she was away and I can spray paint in the garage.:-D

203_1061f.jpg

203_1062f.jpg

203_1064f.JPG

Ouch!!!
Man that suck's You need to D.A it first ( feather edge) prime the spot's use some 2stage spotputty if needed then re prime sand the primer with 400 scotchbrite(red) the whole panel tape off the car wash the panel with wax & silicone remover tack rag it spray yourspots and clear the panel. I have never used rattle can's for this! For your dents you need to hammer and dolly them out and repeat above.
Hope this helps you out.

That's a repair that need more than a couple of rattle cans to fix properly...IMHO
It's hard to tell but I don't think that the dent will push out and not need some kinda love afterwards.
If it were me I'd fix everything and shoot the whole quarter ...

Thanks for the responses guys but I am not a bodyman by a mile,was thinking of something a little less intense.My intention is to get the car done completly down the road a few years.I will give it my best shot.If it turns out good I will take pics,if not you will never know.:-D

I,d take it to get fixed properly,you might just cause more work for later.Is there a DentWizard in your area?

I,d take it to get fixed properly,you might just cause more work for later.Is there a DentWizard in your area?

Well I wasn't really going to work on the dents,just the paint.I go to show n shines and I am a little embarassed by the scratches.Itsa 30 ft paint job on there now so I just want to cover the scratches.I don't think I can screw it up too much,lol.We have a Dr. Dent here,haven't gone there yet.Thanks Scott.If my fix works out I'll stop by your place and do your Dart (the early one) for free.:-D

ouch dreno..That looks like a side swipe with a pitbike.. LMAO..That suks

Yea,that's an owee all right chas,but I think I can cover it up so that it's still a 30 footer.Big job hopefully will happen in a few years.I am too embarrassed to tell ya how it happened.:bootysha:

I don't think it's going to turn out anywheres close to what your thinking...More eyes will be drawn to the repair as opposed to the scratch you have now.
You can PM me your number and I'll talk you thorough how you might want to go about your repair with what you have to work with...might save you a little ](*,)

Rob

Ouch! I did something like that in my father's garage door support arm when backing in during a thunderstorm. Yeah that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it. mike

if you da the scratch out. so the edges are feather edged it will work a lot better. it will make the repair bigger but then you could get away with rattle can and still keep a 30-40 foot paint job lol. but remember the paint just plain wont match so you will want to blend and or paint to body lines. blending is pretty easy just kinda fade out. body work really isnt hard. its not like a motor where if you get the torque off your screwed lol

lol it kinda looks like the clip from a pocket knife hangin outta your pocket when you lean on the car to drink your soda lol. dont ask me how i know lol

if you da the scratch out. so the edges are feather edged it will work a lot better. it will make the repair bigger but then you could get away with rattle can and still keep a 30-40 foot paint job lol. but remember the paint just plain wont match so you will want to blend and or paint to body lines. blending is pretty easy just kinda fade out. body work really isnt hard. its not like a motor where if you get the torque off your screwed lol

lol it kinda looks like the clip from a pocket knife hangin outta your pocket when you lean on the car to drink your soda lol. dont ask me how i know lol

Thanks for the advice Tyler. Hopefully it will be repaired in the next week.Will post pics.8)

No need to plead the 5th DRENO. Just blame the wife ;-)......It's easier. Ask me how I know :)

I can't give you any advice but good luck.

Well I wasn't really going to work on the dents,just the paint.I go to show n shines and I am a little embarassed by the scratches.Itsa 30 ft paint job on there now so I just want to cover the scratches.I don't think I can screw it up too much,lol.We have a Dr. Dent here,haven't gone there yet.Thanks Scott.If my fix works out I'll stop by your place and do your Dart (the early one) for free.:-D
No dents yet in the 66 Dart,but thanks for the offer.Calling Dr.Dreno,Dr.Dreno!LOL

Well this is it.Thanks to FABO member ROB R for repairing the scratches.I did what I could to paint,clear,wetsand ,and polish out the boo boos.No I didn't fix the dent,maybe some time down the road.It's far from perfect but it will have to do for now.8)

pic 008f.jpg

pic 008f.jpg

I missed this thread some how, That repair job looks real good :cheers:
I have dun some paint and body work back in the day and it looks like you got some good info sent out to you.:happy10:
I am waiting to do a complete paint and repair work on Victoria to, she looks good going down the road but she is showing her age and need's some lower 1/4 work dun.
You should be very proud of your repair job :-D:-D
I can see the clouds in the sky =P~

That looks a whole lot better Dave. From the pics the red blends in nicely! Planning anything special for Thursday? :)

Grant

Looks great from here DRENO 8). Nice of Rob to give ya a hand :thumrigh:

That spot looks way better then it did. The Red blended really nice and the polish cleans it up nice! Looking forward to seeing it Thursday if the rain stays away. Maybe we should do the Pony on Sunday as well Dave!

That spot looks way better then it did. The Red blended really nice and the polish cleans it up nice! Looking forward to seeing it Thursday if the rain stays away. Maybe we should do the Pony on Sunday as well Dave!

Thanks Mark,it came out nice I think.Yeah,kinda wondering about this rain thing for Thursday ,not to mention the heat. Pony on Sunday sounds good I will see you at the park.8)

-
Back