Need help

-

Shamrock--WV2NC

Reaction score
I have a 74 Dart with a 318. It's a 3spd automatic 904 transmission. It goes in reverse. It goes in low 1 and 2. It even runs in drive. But while in drive it shifts normally from first to second gear. But it won't shift past second. It just won't go into 3rd. My brother had the car previously. He said he put it away in the winter and it was fine. He said the next spring he pulled it out and had this problem. He told me he had the tranny flushed backwards. I guess he thought something may have been clogged. But it didn't help. I drove it for myself today (first time fast enough for it to shift gears) and it just won't go into 3rd. Does anyone have an idea of what could be wrong?

It's probably the valve body has some crap in it........ I just did a shift kit in mine because I was having the same issue with mine after completely rebuilding the trans......... Made all the adjustments according to the shift kit ( I bought a Fairbanks kit, comes with extra springs and stuff, built it to street/strip specs), found the 2-3 shift valve was hanging up in the valve body....... Trans shifts great now!!!! Hopefully this helps.....

I'm certain you will find one. I had mine rebuilt in Thomasville, NC. I have been told by several people that these transmission's are really easy to do yourself at home. I wasn't comfortable doing mine. I paid 650 to have mine rebuilt with a 5 year warranty

Make sure the KD linkage is hooked up and working,that is to say; not stuck all the way back. If it is stuck at the back, the shifts will be late and harsh. All both of them :)

Last edited:
Yes, that one will work fine...... Transgo is a good shift kit, and along with doing the shift kit, cleaning out the valve body will more than likely solve the issue you're having..... Plus, the shifts will be stronger, as long as everything is adjusted correctly!!!!!

Make sure when the kit is installed the valve body is completely disassembled and everything is cleaned real good. Some guys only clean the area they're working on and that doesn't always cut it.

But don't mix up any springs and don't lose any balls, and if one is bigger than all the rest, that's the pressure regulator ball. IIRC there are really only two springs that are similarly sized,but one is considerably stiffer. I mixed those two up once and IIRC hi-gear took a lotta mph to finally get to.That is just so annoying when that happens!

-
Back