need input on project (408 scamp)

-

Kladen

Reaction score
So, finally took delivery of my 1974 Scamp see : http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=141569

This is my first car project and obviously I have lots of questions, even after reading all the good info here and on the internet.
I'd like to build a street car that migth see the strip 5-6 time over the summer. And be a weekend driver mostly if the weather permit it.

I'd like the car to be as wild as possible, even on the edge of not being fun to drive on the street. I want to sit in it and go ''Dam! that car is awesome'' It can be loud as hell, shake like theres no tomorrow, I don't care.

The car currently have a 318 with a 904 trans. and a 8.25 rear end with I don't know what for gear. Power steering, power brake. Some ceramic coated header and a 2 1/2 exhaust line.

I'd like to stay with a small block build and maybe keep the 904, just rebuild it correctly to handle more power. I'd like to aim the build at 450HP+ and would have a starting budget for the motor of around 6k. Wich can be raised, but I think its important to start somewhere to prevent buying random over price stuff to maybe gain 10-15hp for 1k more. Wich I don't want to go.

I have acces to a '78 360 block, a 727 that need rebuilding in case the 904 won't be enough and an A-body 8 3/4 rear end that also need some love. I'd get new axle for BBP, a suregrip etc.

After all this wording, my idea, and please give your input.

The obvious choice, get the 360 block inspected and if good build a 408 stroker. I'd get the block all straigthened and machined properly, there a good, reputable shop near me.

-Put a Scat stroker kit, forged stuff with I beam I presume.
-Some really good head, that will be ported. Here I'm still not sure, RHS? INDY? EDELBROK?
-Cam, hydraulic? Mechanical? Flat? Roller? Here I'm pretty lost.
-Carburator, I have this crazy idea of runing a Six pack, but from what I've gather I could make more power with less headache with a single 4barel carb.

Will still have to look for rear end idea, tire size, would love to move spring in and maybe back the rear end to center wheel in the opening.

So don't be shy to give me suggestion or to whack me behind the head because I'm talking with non-sense ;-)

-
Back