need measurement on stock "J" head

-

OUTLAW

Master of All Mopars
Reaction score
Does anyone have a stock set of "J" heads off the car they can measure something for me? I need the thickness of the head on the flange marked on the pictures below. These must be uncut heads

Never mind, I can tell by the casting it is the 915 head because it doesn't have the provisions for the "air" holes below the exhaust port like on the 587 head.

yep 915 castings. My machinist and I are trying to figure out how much has previously been milled off these heads and figured this would be as good a way as any to determine.

This is a machine surface and can't be measured but the depth of the chamber is the point of measure from the casting mark or divit in the bottom of the chamber to the deck, the divit is close to the spark plug at the bottom of the chamber. I'll have to look for the demention for this for stock.

I figured that this was probably machined to the same thickness on all the heads to jig them up to properly do the finish machine work on the heads from the factory ...wasnt sure if that was why they machined those spots or not .
But if you can either come up with your figure or the top rail to gasket surface dimension I can then tell how much has been removed already and how much more can be ...thanks

Outlaw

I just measured a set of 915 "J" heads i just got at a swap meet. One side is .966 the other is .963, the center is .967. Dont know if that helps you or not. I havn't done anything to these heads yet, and don't know if they are stock.

Dace C.

it all helps ...LOL

I just went and mic mine and it looks like BJR knows what he is talking about ...LOL thanks
Mine mic .967 .974 .971 and on the other head .973 .977 .968
and I know they have been cut .030 at least but the machinist that shaved them for me 30 years ago died and we couldnt read his stamping on the head..guess I will find out if its been cut too much when I go to install the intake and deal with it then ...LOL

CC'ing the chamber will be helpful on determining how much has been removed from deck surface. One C C = .0048 on small mopar open chambers. Good luck, Terry.

well we took off .030 and the cc's went from 71 to 67 and with the thin headgaskets should give me .7 rise in compression

-
Back