need my axles drilled

-

dartman1974

Reaction score
I have an 83/4 from a demon,going in a dart,does anybody know anyplace resonably close to roanoke Va that can weld and redrill axles and drums to 4 1/2 inch pattern.thanks

Wonder if we could go to 4x4 pattern?

Or some other pattern that would leave"meat".

:profilel:how did you get on? im in same predicament, changing brakes to disks on front<4.0" at present> and so getting new 4.5 wheels,eventually going to have to buy new driveshafts but shipping to uk expensive so may be getting mine redrilled if enough guts on there!

I have aftermarket axles, came drilled for 2 pattern, so don't think new drilling weakens them. Strange axles.

When I started refurbishing the rearend on my car the previous owner drilled out the rear axles to 4.5 bolt pattern. Then he welded the studs to the back of the axle. I guess he didn't want them to go anywhere. It would have been bad if a stud broke or striped.... lol. I bought new Yukon axles needless to say and threw the others in the county dump.

When I started refurbishing the rearend on my car the previous owner drilled out the rear axles to 4.5 bolt pattern. Then he welded the studs to the back of the axle. I guess he didn't want them to go anywhere. It would have been bad if a stud broke or striped.... lol. I bought new Yukon axles needless to say and threw the others in the county dump.

I have some done the exact same way......

Seen and had this done and never had a prob, any good machine shop can do, shame to have thrown a set of good axles away....but I can understand why some wouldnt want to do it, it is better to get diff axles in the long run, but sometimes you just cant swing stuff economicwise...

Seen and had this done and never had a prob, any good machine shop can do, shame to have thrown a set of good axles away....but I can understand why some wouldnt want to do it, it is better to get diff axles in the long run, but sometimes you just cant swing stuff economicwise...

Your right.... I should have gave them to someone that might want them. At the time however I didn't know that there was a interest in them.... especially since the studs where welded.

Theres alot of stuff people do like that that you may think is an absolute hackjob, but its just another way to do it sometimes.

Al tho the process for re-drilling the axles and hubs look simple and in some ways it is. The machine shop has to make money and not open itself to a libel suit. First of all the welded studs would make me wonder if the hub had lost some strength from the welding. Second, set up time to do the work. A lot of set up time for a small production run.

I made some transfer plates for my uncle in the 80's. He re-drilled mags for different patterns. Only two patterns to a transfer plate. One was a 5X4 1/2" pattern and a 5X4 3/4" pattern. The other was a 5X4 3/4" and 5X5 pattern. They allowed him to mark to patterns quickly to later drill out on a drill press.

It may be better and less money to buy axles and hubs.

Whip

I finally did get a local shop to drill axles and drums,took 6 weeks to do at the time not in a big hurry good thing but they look good and was only charged 75.00

ive got a dart disk conversion for my barracuda so going up to 4.5 and ordered new wheels to suit,measured the flangeon my axle today with the intention of having them redrilled ,they measure 5.5" diameter outer, there enough on there to redrill?

cuda wheels.jpg

-
Back