need opinion on cyclinder heads

-

22dog22

Reaction score
was looking thu the craigslist here pa. under the listing for reading posting # 3221084417, person has a number of cylinder heads for sale with a photo of all of the heads, i wanted to know some fair prices to offer on some of the heads, 1st is a pair of j-heads complete w/1.88 valves, 2nd is a pair of heads 1.88 3angle,comp single springs,decked,mildporting, w/12k miles, and 3rd 1pair of late model j-heads complete, 4th he aslo has 2 pairs of 360 swirl heads, any idea what to offer? and i think the j-heads are for a small block??:sign7:

Yep J heads = small block. No possible way to answer your question without seeing the heads in person. From what I've seen over the yrs. most stock heads likely need a full rebuild so your looking at another $500-600 on top of the purchase price. I can say that by experience too. The problem is anything as old as they are either have a zillion miles on them and are completely worn out now needing fully rebuilt or a rebuilder has cobbled them up with a shade tree garage rebuild so they need a full rebuild. If your lucky 1 set of ot 5 will be rebuilt right. IMO Your best bet is to leave the stock stuff alone for guys doing concours resto's and buy new RHS X or EQ magnum heads. They all flow way more than stock heads which means more power and their brand new. If you do insist on them I would never give more than $100 for a set of stock heads unless I see a reciept and proof that they've been rebuilt by a shop I personally know and trust.

Listen, unless ur building a really hot street strip motor, u don't need 1200-1500 heads.
Having heads rebuilt costs $350-550 a set.
Depending on what ur doing...used heads can fit the bill and get u thousands of miles down the road.
Just a reality check ;)

-
Back