Need opinions on a 408 stroker build

-

bness360

Reaction score
Is W-2 heads, W-2 MP manifold, 850 Speed Demon carb, and W-2 tti headers a good combo for building a 450+hp mainly street/occasionally strip 1970 dart swinger? If not, whats the best way to go?

Thanks for the help!!!

Eddy heads, Victor or RPM intake, Hooker headers and 750 Holley. Good street strip combo. Look at a Hughes cam and lifter combo also. JMO

That is a lot more head than you need for a street stroker. 10-1 and the right cam and that combo would be way north of 500 HP. Eddys with porting work fine and at 450 HP you may not need the porting.

I'm gonna put it another way. Rather than way more head, raise your horse power goals. With that top end, you'll be able to suck down a 1050 dominator. Easy. Maybe even an 1150. I say shoot for 700 HP.

That is a lot more head than you need for a street stroker. 10-1 and the right cam and that combo would be way north of 500 HP. Eddys with porting work fine and at 450 HP you may not need the porting.

My line of thinking also. W2's way overkill.

I'm gonna put it another way. Rather than way more head, raise your horse power goals. With that top end, you'll be able to suck down a 1050 dominator. Easy. Maybe even an 1150. I say shoot for 700 HP.

That would make a hell of a street strip car. LOL

I just did 2 strokers going to Australia that made 465HP and 495TQ with a hyd. cam that's 235-241@ .050 using our RHS heads, weiand stealth intakes, 750Holley, through the mufflers.
Here's a link to both of them on the dyno:

[ame="http://youtu.be/yu68gLV64pU"]302 Found[/ame]

[ame="http://youtu.be/-0kzigx1G0s"]302 Found[/ame]

Brian

i have a 408 stroker.. eddy alum heads 10.5-1 pistons.. with the current tune.. it dyno'd at 365 hp at the rear wheels.. no cage.. its a blast to drive.. goes real fast real quick, and real straight....

Hi Brian,
What rpm's did they make that power?
Sounds like the 2nd motor revved a little more.
And were they roller or hyd. cams?
Thanks.

Hi Brian,
What rpm's did they make that power?
Sounds like the 2nd motor revved a little more.
And were they roller or hyd. cams?
Thanks.

Hyd. FT cams.
Peak power was 5500 and peak TQ was 4100 rpm for both engines. I might have taken that 2nd engine up to 6000rpm on that pull, not sure but they are IDENTICAL except for the color!

Hyd. FT cams.
Peak power was 5500 and peak TQ was 4100 rpm for both engines. I might have taken that 2nd engine up to 6000rpm on that pull, not sure but they are IDENTICAL except for the color!

That's impressive.
Thanks.

Yeah, stock RPMS with a hydraulic cam in the 235-240 range should be making 460hp. With W2s in stock form you will make more tha 460... It's so easy to make big power with these strokers...

I just did 2 strokers going to Australia that made 465HP and 495TQ with a hyd. cam that's 235-241@ .050 using our RHS heads, weiand stealth intakes, 750Holley, through the mufflers.
Here's a link to both of them on the dyno:

302 Found

302 Found

Brian

thanks for the ideas!! thats right were I would want to be!!! I tried looking at RHS heads and all I could find were heads for chevy and ford. I went to RHS's website. Am I looking in the right spot?

thanks for the ideas!! thats right were I would want to be!!! I tried looking at RHS heads and all I could find were heads for chevy and ford. I went to RHS's website. Am I looking in the right spot?

No. RHS no longer market or sell the heads, Indy now have sole custody!
You could buy them direct or go through a reputable builder like Brian who machines and sets up their own complete heads. I'd choose the latter option.

i run w2's holley tunnel ram with 2 660's .585 solid with 259 @.50 ultradyne 10.5:1. it makes an honest 550 hp. pushes my 3700 lbs challenger to 7.37 @ 94 mph in the 1/8 mile. ran same combo but with a victor w2 and an 830 holley to 7.48 @ 92. car is street driven often and it's just hard on gas ! makes really good hp and is not really crazy to drive at all.my first build on this bottom end had edelbrocks on it (box stock) and the motor did not run well at all. i could only muster a 7.7 @ 90 in the 1/8. at the time i had already aquired the w2's from my brother and i already had the edelbrocks so i kind of wanted to compare them. as you can see there is not really a comparison, now i know everyone is going to jump all over this post because of what i just said but i'll list the parts that the w2's have in them. w2's are one of the best heads going for a street/strip stroker.
w2's have 2.08 intake,1.65 exhaust slight porting on the intake side. nothing done to the exhaust. also being cast iron you don't have to worry about stripped threads. i have edelbrocks still on my 500 cube motor in my duster and they have stage 3 porting from hughes done to them and they are very nice. just always worried about stripping something out of them

I just ran a stock eddy head, small roller and 750 carb on my stroker to 511 hp - the w2's can get you to 600 real easy.

The W2 heads, IMO, are not overkill for a stroker except you will not need them for the power level you seek. OE ported iron heads can produce this power with porting. IMO, if you have 340/360 OE heads now, port them.

The Edelbrock heads are cheaper out of the box though many scream that you should have them checked by a machinist and have a valve job done. This boosts costs to the ported iron head area.

Notice the flow abilty of the heads for the HP made. OE Iron heads can do this.

The worst part about W2 heads is the cost. For a street strip car, it is very expensive to do. If your racing, there what you want most of the time when hitting the HP search is on and your looking to hit it hard. Of course, some guys will run the W2 in the street (stroker or not) to make some really nice (Big for the street) HP numbers and times.

450 HP isn't much of a stretch for a W2. Or a OE head. I run Edelbrocks on my 360 with a [email protected] cam for low 12's, high 11's backed by 4.10's. The heads are box stock no work done to them.

I plan on keeping the 3.23's that are already in the rear end. It will see the track once or twice just to see what it can do. I just want a really nasty street car. Should I think about 500hp+?

My 500 HP 416 has a hyd purple 508 cam and 830 holley on a airgap. It is 10-1 93 octanepure fun. Starts working well at 2500 which is where the converter starts grabbing. great for the street. Gas milage isn't anything to brag about though.

That orange Duster crackedback put up launches well! The MPH really doesn't match the ET though. My 3050# (with me) fish was running 98+ and only getting 7.20 with a 1.65 60'. The Duster must be doing something wrong.

-
Back