Need Parts and advise to change manuel steering to Power on Dart GTS 69

-

outrunum

Reaction score
where would you guys recommend to purchase parts for 69 GTS. Presently have manuel steering and would like to go Power. How difficult to make change and what parts necessary. And estimated cost would be appreciated. Located in Morristown, TN [/EMAIL]

outrunum, sorry, I had to modify your thread. I delated your e-mail address because E-mailing you the answer will waterdown the forum. Answering you by way of e-mail only helps you out and doesn't help anyone else looking to do, or in the process off this problem themselfs.

You'll have to come back and join in. ;)

Look into flaming river. I think they have the parts for the steering coupler that are needed. I forget how this excetly works. But I know it has been done here a few times.
Try a search. It may yet yeild results.

The power steering box is longer than the manual box so you need a new column unless you are willing to cut your down and use an aftermarket coupling. You will need the crank pulley, mounting brackets and PS pump for the change.

I did this a couple of years ago and had a doner P/S car to pull all the parts off. I would recomend this approach over sourcing parts from differnt places.

BTW, swapping to power has to be one of the most satisfying upgrade I have made to my Barracuda. It turned it from a slow responding parking lot handful to a very quick and nimble handling car.

You can get the power steering gearbox from any A-body for sure, but the pitman arm may have to be changed for your particular car. You will also need a power steering column, either column shift or floor shift, depending on what set-up you have. Also needed would be the power steering pump and brackets for your particular engine. Post your location and set-up and we'll see what comes up. I know for a fact that I have the gearbox from a 69 Dart, the pump and brackets from a smallblock, and a steering column from a column shifted 71 Dart. The swap is pretty easy, access to the gearbox being the limiting factor. P.M. me if you are interested in this stuff and we'll go from there, Geof

-
Back