Need photos of early A dash frames

-

KevinB

Reaction score
I've designed a custom gauge panel for my 66 dart that I will have 3d Printed. I will likely buy a 3D printer and make the piece (and my other dash pieces) myself. To help recoup the cost, I'll likely be selling more prints, but I'd like to be able to make the pieces useable in as many early a bodies as possible.

Having reference photos of dash frames would be a big help, if you have one please share.

FYI If you're interested in a gauge panel, these will be sold in a raw black condition. Some Sanding would be required to remove layer lines, maybe even some body filler, and then paint. With a high enough resolution print I'm hoping to keep that to a minimum. I might start a kickstarter and presell panels for $230, with the expectation that post launch orders will be $290. Obviously if you're a fabricator then you wouldn't be interested. But for those of us without the fabrication tools and skills to make a quality piece, this is cheaper than paying someone else to make it from metal. Anyway, not interested in arguing the merits of the plan. Even if I never sell one, having a 3D printer will be its own reward when trying to restore a car with 50 year old plastic in it.

Screen Shot 2016-07-22 at 10.30.30 AM.png

Last edited:
Love your idea and was considering doing the same with my 65 valiant. Might still try CADing something together but sending it out for 3D printing. Would love to buy a printer but can't justify it...just yet. Best of luck with your plan!

Just curious, what material would it be printed in? I know some of the cheaper printers can only use a sugar-based material that does not stand up well to weather or extreme temperatures. I'd think you'd need to use something like ABS for any type of automotive parts.

Love your idea and was considering doing the same with my 65 valiant. Might still try CADing something together but sending it out for 3D printing. Would love to buy a printer but can't justify it...just yet. Best of luck with your plan!

I've gotten quotes that vary from $1700 to $350. I hesitate to farm it out though because this is my first time printing, and I know mistakes will be made in the design that I can't forsee. I'd also prefer control over the material type, and other factors. If you're interested, I can send you what I've made so you can change the design to suit your needs. FYI the model isn't totally complete, I still have some work to do and look at the mounting options on the dash frame.

Just curious, what material would it be printed in? I know some of the cheaper printers can only use a sugar-based material that does not stand up well to weather or extreme temperatures. I'd think you'd need to use something like ABS for any type of automotive parts.

ABS is likely the way I will go. The printer I'm looking at is relatively new to market and there's not a heated bed for ABS yet, but it's in the testing phase.

I've gotten quotes that vary from $1700 to $350. I hesitate to farm it out though because this is my first time printing, and I know mistakes will be made in the design that I can't forsee. I'd also prefer control over the material type, and other factors. If you're interested, I can send you what I've made so you can change the design to suit your needs. FYI the model isn't totally complete, I still have some work to do and look at the mounting options on the dash frame.
I'm not certain dashes are interchangeable between the different Early As. Just looking at your image, it's clear that your Dart dash is no where near what my Valiants look like. They may share some common dimensions though.

I'm not certain dashes are interchangeable between the different Early As. Just looking at your image, it's clear that your Dart dash is no where near what my Valiants look like. They may share some common dimensions though.

One consideration is anyone's dash is probably gonna have some cutting to fit this design. My idea was to come up with not a design specific to the dart, but one that shared enough common dimensions to work. TBD on if that will be the case or not. I'll need to get my hands on some local cars to find out.

One consideration is anyone's dash is probably gonna have some cutting to fit this design. My idea was to come up with not a design specific to the dart, but one that shared enough common dimensions to work. TBD on if that will be the case or not. I'll need to get my hands on some local cars to find out.
I'm happy to take measurements and send pics if that will help your effort. What you are doing is totally hotroding in the modern age and I think is great!

For those interested, I've found a much cheaper 3D printing service that will allow me to print my piece in ABS for $130. Which means I won't be buying a printer. I'm going to have a PLA version printed for $70 to test the fitment and look first. I'll just need to finish up my model, which means adding pockets for threaded nuts, finishing the bevel on the front piece, notching the bottom for the steering column, verifying measurements, and prepping the model for print. Once I'm done and I have a final model to print from I'm happy to make it available to anyone that wants to use it, or possibly help with arranging your own print to be made. I'll make a new post when I have more updates.

-
Back