Need Quick Help W/ Steering Column

-
Reaction score
Well this is my daily driver and I need to replace the ignition switch tonight. I have the column apart but there is a pin holding the locking plate in place. I have the tool to relieve the pressure but it does not do anything. I tightened it so tight that the tool started to bend. The pin will not come out!

Is there anything that I can do short of drilling the pin out?

Tool to release pressure is throwing me a curve. It wheel locking plate ahs a tapered pin through it. The pin is hidden under a thin metal collar.
If everything is centered straight ahead the pin will drive out toward the drivers door glass.

I got the metal collar off and some people said to use a tool that screws on to the column and you tighten a c shaped bracket to "release the pressure" on the pin.

Haha ironically I was just pushing it the wrong way. The first night my dad tried to force the pin (the wrong way) and now it is stuck a little bit out the wrong side.

ok. I know about linear tension on gm columns and the need to pull the shaft to get a snap ring placed.
If you haven't got that pin out yet, lets get serious. Measure the distance from column shaft to door panel. Cut a piece of wood to go between there.
Open the door and place cloth or something on the door to protect the paint.
Push the door closed slowly with the wood against the column shaft. This will reduce the movement of the shaft when you strike the pin. Try not to mushroom the ends of the pin. Once it is out check it with a file before driving it back in. Hope this helps.

-
Back