Need Quick Wiring Help!

-

strange246

Reaction score
I'm installing my wiring harness, doing the connections at the column right now, stock column-Ron Francis Wiring kit, on the factory diagram there's 2 ignition wires, anyone know which is which? They're labeled "Ignition 1" and "Ignition 2"...I assume one would have power with key in start and run and the other in run and accessory...But the kit has just one wire that it says to connect to the Ignition terminal, which they say has power in run and crank ....There's also a Black heavy gauge wire labeled on the diagram "Accessory", what does that run to?

Ryan

Ryan,
What is your application?
C

72 Demon, it has a stock 72 floor shift automatic column and a Ron Francis "Mopar Express Wiring' harnesses...Problem is they supply you with one wire from the panel to the ignition switch, and from the factory there's Ignition 1 and Ignition 2 coming out of the column? They say it should be hot in run and start key positions...What about the other wire?

Ryan

Just a guess but it's possible on the factory wiring the 2 different wires are the ones that go to each side of the ballast resistor. The "run" and "start" wires essentially. The key switch bypasses the ballast resistor in the cranking position then when you stop cranking power is directed to the resistor then through to the coil. If you only need one wire the one to use is the one that goes straight to the coil and is not interrupted by the ballast resistor. Just make sure you use a ignition coil that is designed for use without a ballast resistor.

Well I double checked with the tech people at Ron Francis, they say to hook both ignition wires to the single ignition wire they provide...

Ryan

If you do that it will bypass the ballast resistor so make sure you have a coil that's for made use without a ballast resistor (stock Mopar coils are not) otherwise you'll be burning things up i.e. points if it's a point style ignition or control boxes if it's electronic ignition.

If you do that it will bypass the ballast resistor so make sure you have a coil that's for made use without a ballast resistor (stock Mopar coils are not) otherwise you'll be burning things up i.e. points if it's a point style ignition or control boxes if it's electronic ignition.

Any suggestions which? I have currently an Accel Super coil?

Ryan

Any suggestions which? I have currently an Accel Super coil?

Ryan

Honestly Ryan I don't know which performance coils are for use without a resistor. I just know stock Mopar coils have to have one. I think I'd contact Mallory, MSD, and Accel and see which ones will work and use the one best suited for your application. You should be able to Google up their web sites and send them a e-mail telling them what your doing and see what they say. They might even have it posted on the FAQ section that most mfg's have.

-
Back