Need solvent, blast media & pressure regulator

-

BrianT

Here we go again...
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Hey everybody!! Last night we spent a hour putting the HF blast cabinet together. We also have an old Clarke solvent tank, that we picked up on the cheap(haven't tested the pump yet).

FxCam_1359161443610.jpg

I am looking for recommendations on what solvent to put in the parts washer and what kind of blast media to put in the cabinet. I know you can't get the old Safety Kleen solvent anymore, but there has got to be something that I can pick up local that does a decent job?

As far as blast media, we are just looking for something for general blasting. For example, today I would like to clean up my timing cover in the solvent tank and blast the old paint off of it. What should I use??

Also, I'm looking for a recommendation on a good cheap regulator/drier for the air lines. My buddy wants to go back to HF and buy their cheap one for $20, but I'm trying to talk him into stepping up and buying something a little nicer like this one from Sears for $40.

This isn't going into a commercial shop, just an old barn where two guys like to drink beer and work on their cars. Thanks in advance for any help you all can provide. I can't wait to start blasting things today!!!

I am pretty sure in the parts washer your suppose to use water base cleaner. That said it doesn't work that well. I use mineral spirts in mine and works ok. I like to go to Tractor supply for media blast and get black diamond .

Not sure about your area, but solvent is still available here. I have seen it recently at auto parts stors in cans, (I think 1 gal) I know its not cheep. Where does that solvent go in that? I'm used to the ones that sit on a drum of it. The bigger problem is what to do with used solvent. I have 2 maint shops at work, one that is used frequently still uses Safety Kleen solvent and they service it. One in another building does not get used as much, is Zep water based with a filter. The guys just change filter and add fluid as it evaporates.

Yeah, not looking for any water based cleaners. I've read a lot of people using odorless mineral spirits in theirs. Disposal won't be a problem, we'll just pour it on the burn pile. I think I'm gonna need at least 10 gallons.

Yeah, not looking for any water based cleaners. I've read a lot of people using odorless mineral spirits in theirs. Disposal won't be a problem, we'll just pour it on the burn pile. I think I'm gonna need at least 10 gallons.

Not really recommended. Pouring it on a burn pile still has some of it soaking into the ground. If you have a well, you will end up drinking it. If you don't, somebody else will.

Not really recommended. Pouring it on a burn pile still has some of it soaking into the ground. If you have a well, you will end up drinking it. If you don't, somebody else will.

Let me reiterate, this is not a commercial business and any solvents used will probably evaporate into the atmosphere before we every get them dirty enough to dispose of. We have no intentions of polluting the water table.

I have the same parts washer....not a comercial grade unit but ok for home use. It does use about 10 gallons, and I use the newer safty kleen water based solvent, but it needs to be heated to work good, so I found a small submersable heater and keep it set at 120 degrees. It works great ! I also have two blast cabinets and use black diamond in one, for rusty steel parts, and I use glass bead in the other for aluminum, and softer metals. Also make sure you plug the parts washer into a GFI outlet sense it has a pump and it submercied in fluid.

-
Back