Need some 408 stroker insight

-

BadAss71

Let's Go Brandon
Reaction score
So i have had the 440 in my swinger for quite a while now. I'm ready for something different. Looking at building a 408 stroker with a turbo. Shooting for around 650 horse. My questions are.

#1 Is there a specific year 360 block I should be looking for?
#2 Is the 4 bolt main cap upgrade necessary?
#3 Which stroker kit is the best?
#4 What heads would be necessary for the horsepower levels I want?
#5 What blow thru carb should I use?
#6 8.5 to 1 pistons. Which brand pistons?
#7 Any oiling mods need to be made to the 360?
#8 What size turbo?

Basically I want to build an indestructable and reliable powerplant. Any and all suggestions are welcome. Thanks in advance!

Hi, Check this out:

http://www.carcraft.com/techarticles/ccrp_1110_pump_gas_small_block_mopar/index.html

Imm engines did a 620 HP NA 408 cui SB - is this an option for you?

I think for your hp goals there´s no need to go crazy with boost and therefore with the internal parts - the stock block should handle it.

As far as i know there´s no thing like a "best year" or "thick block", have yours sonic tested before machining.

I´d build a strong bottom end with forged pistons and forged crank, i got my kit from scat, everything was ok.

I think a well done J-Head can be used to get 650 HP in this application, the RHS X-Heads are an option, and the Edelbrock Aluminium Head if you want to save some weight. No need to buy a high-dollar race head for what you want from the engine.

Take a look into the force induction forum here, very interesting stuff there! I have no experience regarding turbo size etc, some other guys know this better and will jump in.

Personally if i had a BB and wanted more i´d go BB stroker around 500 ci...:D. But i really like the idea of a turbo SB, propably will do one some day.

Michael

Seems like a race block would be best. It would allow for cranking up the boost. I'm no expert, but 650 hp sounds like a lot for a stock block.

-
Back