Need some advice on my 904

-

BTYM

Reaction score
So I pulled the 904 out of my dart sport last night. The plan as of right now is to have it rebuilt, but I gotta say I really don't know which direction I want to run with this. I have a few options, and I was hoping that someone could shed some light for me. I'll try to organize the post so it's not a pain to read.

Option 1: Rebuild the 904. If this is the direction I go I would really appreciate any advice on aftermarket parts / shift kits that would improve the performance / durability of the transmission.

Option 2: Find and build a 727. Again if this is the direction I should go I would appreciate advice on any aftermarket parts or kits. I don't plan on going hog wild under the hood. It has a 318 right now, and I will either build up the 318 a little when I pull it this winter, or find a 340.

Option 3: Find a 4 speed. Now, let me explain where I'm coming from on this last one. I want a fun little daily driver that I may take out to the drag strip every once in awhile. Most of the time it will be a cruiser. I want it to be spunky off the line, just something to have fun with. From what I have read guys with 3 speeds and 3.55's in the rear cruise at 70 at around 3,000 RPM. I guess that's not terrible, but I'm still open to any advice regarding whether a 4 speed might be better suited to me.

Thanks guys, this is my first mopar and without this forum I'm not sure I would have ever kept the dart, would've probably traded for some beat to poop gen 2 camaro or something by now :wack: lol

x2 on the 904. it will handle a nicely built 318 or a 340 for that matter. plus you have all the stuff to reinstall it. a 4spd would be nice, but a lot of parts to find, and the engine would still rev a 3000 at 70mph with those gears. maybe down the road when you figure out what engine you want, a passion 5spd would be worth looking at.

Rebuild the 904. best option in cost and performance for what you want to do. 4 speeds are fun, but many parts to round up, and in the end, the auto will still beat it at the track.

904. Rebuild and install a shift kit and you will be good to go. You could also install the lower first gear set thats in the 998 and 999s I believe.

I'm running a 999 trans with a shift kit in my dart behind a 360. Goes pretty good. A good converter will help you off the line as well.

Get the 904 rebuild cause you already have one in your car,so no parts,linkage,driveshaft swapping.My advise to you is keep it simple...rebuilt with new belts,clutches and a Trans-Go 2 shift kit.A 2500-3000 stall converter will work fine with a stock 318,340,360.:D

-
Back