Need some advice

-
It is a Holley single barrel can't recall the number off hand.

powerwagonpaul I believe I found the issue. I had a small gas leak coming from the fuel sending unit hole but I did not put 2 and 2 together as a related issue. I think what has happened is my went tube has become clogged or kinked and it is causing a vacuum to be created in the tank. The leak would happen because the gas would go the path of least resistance which would be the sending hole. I think the vacuum would cause a state known as suck back.

I tested this by running the car with the gas cap off. Everything felt right. I did not take it for a drive just in drive with the brake depressed. So my next step will be to replace the vent line. I have a question on this. As I recall the vent line is the line coming off the filler neck and working its way towards the gas tank. So I am wondering can I use about 11 inches of rubber fuel line that I have left and some extra brake line?

Everything you have described so far is or is related to the charging problem. Electronic ignition likes 12-13 volts. If your ammeter is showing a drop during accelleration, it's not getting the required voltage for the ignition system to function properly. Fix your charging problem and it should fix the poor running problem.

I may not have been clear when I stated I saw the ammeter drop. When it dropped the engine was on the verge of stalling as well. I apologize for not being clear but I believe those two symptoms are related. The engine beginning to flutter causing the alternator to not turn as fast causing the ammeter to drop.

Ok so I have resolved the issue and I figured I would post the final fix. Yesterday I started the car put it in neutral and gave it some gas the engine started to die. So I cracked the gas cap and tried again and everything felt good again. I then tugged on the vent line and I could feel it give some resistance and then a pop feeling. What I believe happened is either I got the vent into the filler neck hole of the tank or it got under the gasket either way it is fixed now and working great. Thank you for all the help and I am sorry if my diagnostics were confusing. The problem confused me as well.

-
Back