Need some assistance 70 vs 71 340 4 speed Duster

-

SRTDOUG

Reaction score
Ok Guru's, Gods, Demi-Gods, and Jedi Masters of the highly coveted and totally Bada$$ Abodies...

Are there any real significant difference between a 1970 340 4 Speed Duster vs 1971 340 4 Speed Duster?

I wish I could actually speak intelligently about this, but I can't (yet).

I have a dying need for a 70. But if the 71 is identical, mechanically and structurally as the 70 i can open my options. I am not a fan of the 72 rear taillights. (Heck I might even consider going 71/72 Demon if it is worth it.)

Is one "supposedly" better than the other? Thanks guys.....:love7:

BTW..Yes I did the unthinkable..I actually SEARCHED before asking this and didn't find anything.

Two big ones (factory original) are no shark tooth grille in 70 on the 340 cars and the side stripes on 70s are different.Other than those major visuals and different interior patterns they are basicly identical.

the deck lid changed in 71, 70 had the flat decklid, in the year of 71 they introduced the windstream spine down the deck lid.

Can also have the 340 wedge decal on 71. I believe discs std. on 70, optional on 71. No Valiant badging on 71.

Grant

the deck lid changed in 71, 70 had the flat decklid, in the year of 71 they introduced the windstream spine down the deck lid.

This is true for the late 71 cars and 72 up,the majority have the flat trunk lid,it was a reinforcement of all things.

70 Duster 340: Radio - thumbwheel type. Turndown Exhaust tailpipes - no chrome tips. no dual body color Rallye mirrors, just a single, drivers side chrome, and offered late, dual chrome mirrors. Light argent colored 10 hole Rallye wheel centers. 340 came with a Carter AVS Four Barrel carb.

71 Duster 340: Knob style radio. Chrome exhaust tips available, Dual painted mirrors. Dark argent colored 10 hole Rallye wheel centers. 340 came with a Carter Thermoquad four barrel carb.

I am not sure I can say this so please forgive me..

But HOLY SCHNIKEEYS!!! This is EXACTLY what I wanted to know...I knew you guys were good, but wow...

Thanks...I am glad I asked!! Good information...thanks!!

1971 Duster 340's also used a *specific 850 cfm Thermoquad. Not all 1971 Dusters have the ridged trunk lid, mostly later production '71's and become the standard deck lid style for '72-'76 Duster,'72 Demon, and '73-76 Dart sport.

IIRC, a '70 4 speed car uses a different style pedal rubber than a '71.

Ditto on all the other responses here as well...

-
Back