Need some camshaft suggestions

-

Swinger340Canuc

72 Swinger 340 Special
Reaction score
I'm taking my 340 back to an original look for my restoration. When I had this engine built I relied on my machinist to give me a bit of a lumpy street cam that would work with headers and Torker manifold and aftermarket carb. I don't know the specs on this cam and if I'm going to change it now would be the time with the motor mostly apart,

IMG_4523.jpg

I love my lumpy cam so I'd like to go with a lumpy (hydraulic) cam that will work with the factory exhaust manifolds and intake with a Thermoquad Carb on a set of X-heads, I believe the valve springs are stock. 10.5 to one compression and a 4 speed tranny.

Any suggestions would be appreciated,
Danny

Ask the machinist what he used for the cam.

Are you looking for anything else besides lumpy?

I mean the Thumpr cams from comp cams sound crazy. My dad runs one. Misery to drive.

One of the best engines I ever had was a '68 340 pretty much all stock aside from a Comp 268H cam with cheapie headers, a Tquad intake and Tquad carb. I'd advise using that. With the manifolds it will have a little more lump.

Oh! What's the gear ratio and tire size?

If you love the one you got, and it's serviceable.....then why change it. There is no cam better than the one you already love.

There's cams for; quicker,slower faster,better fuel economy,more torque, more power,towing, racing, and nowadays just to sound racey. But the whole range for a streeter is about 32 degrees or 5 or 6 sizes. plus one more for a stick car. Chances are you have a 268/272, middle of the road cam cuz everybody loves those when the compression is matched to them. The next size up will probably be too much for you, and the next size down may not have the lumpy idle, you so much like.
So........
If you want a NEW cam just because; well then, with the heads currently off,this is the best time to check out the one you got and just order up anuther. You will need a couple of tools tho.

Last edited:
Sorry I haven't managed to get back on here for almost a week fellas but thanks for the input,

Ask the machinist what he used for the cam.

Oh! What's the gear ratio and tire size?

I would rumblefish360 but I had the engine built back in the early 80's and he's a fair bit older then me and my memory isn't what it used to be so he probably would say who are you, lol.

I'm running 3.23 gears on 225/70R14's,

If you love the one you got, and it's serviceable.....then why change it. There is no cam better than the one you already love.

There's cams for; quicker,slower faster,better fuel economy,more torque, more power,towing, racing, and nowadays just to sound racey. But the whole range for a streeter is about 32 degrees or 5 or 6 sizes. plus one more for a stick car. Chances are you have a 268/272, middle of the road cam cuz everybody loves those when the compression is matched to them. The next size up will probably be too much for you, and the next size down may not have the lumpy idle, you so much like.
So........
If you want a NEW cam just because; well then, with the heads currently off,this is the best time to check out the one you got and just order up anuther. You will need a couple of tools tho.

You might be right AJ/FormS, if there was a bit of a consensus on a cam that performed really well with the stock parts I would check out the cost and decide since this would be the time to make the change. Wish I knew the specs on the one thats in it that would help.

Appreciate the feedback guys,

Danny

Not trying to be a smartass, but if you love the cam, why change it?

Not trying to be a smartass, but if you love the cam, why change it?

Just not sure how well it will work going back to a bit more restrictive setup, likely will give it a try, would just hate to have to pull the front of the engine apart to change it after a 3 year project if I'm not happy with it.

Well if you change it, and you don't like the new one, then you're in the same predicament. But now you're also out the cash.

Like I said, with the heads off, it's easy to check out the current cam.
In the 80s there weren't a ton of Mopar cams out there.

-
Back