need some help (360)!400+hp

-

73_duster

Reaction score
i have a buddy who has a 400+hp 360 that he wants to put in my duster for $2500 is that a good deal? i was just wondering what all i need to make the swap possible in my 73 duster slant six let me know asap thank you so much.

73, Mike makes a good point. The ONLY ways to get a true power rating, is to either have the car it's in weighed, and raced in front of you, or have it run on a chassis dyno in front of you. Otherwise, it's all a guess, and most are not close to what the owner's beleive. For a good running 360 (meaning doesnt overheat, good oil pressure, no noises, and it does all this while your listening and watching it...) $1000 would be a decent price. You can have a 318 rebuilt for $2500 and get more out of it than a used 360. You could also have a stout 360 done for $2500.

I think you could do better. Cheaper/

I agree with the others, this is one place where you should definitely look the gift horse in the mouth. Seems everyone now owns a 400+ HP 360 engine. I've built mine aiming for the 400 HP level, but I doubt very much that it's much over 350. To get to the 400 level I'll need to bring the stock compression up with some aftermarket pistons , and possibly have the heads cut to get the final compression I'll need. Unless he has a dyno sheet or some strip timing slips that are verifyably his, I'd be very skeptical about the 400 HP claim. Just my .02 cents.

For what its worth I have built a 480HP 360 stroker and it cost a heel of a lot more then what your friend wants for his motor that being said I takes alot to make that much real HP and last I doubt has that much power. Hope what ever you do works out for you. Cheers

very true.....without a build sheet or a dyno sheet it does really say much expect for the hot air used to speak the words 400 hp.

340 with 408 hp on 92

340-engine.jpg

:supz: I'd get him down some. you're gonna need alot more stuff than you think you need, like schumacher mounts, throttle cables, radiator etc. that just wont work going fom the \6 to a small block. I'd try and get a dyno sheet from him or take it to a machine shop that has one, and let them look it over.

I paid $2500 for a dyno'd 478 horse 340. Its possible but thats not the question here. You'll need a differant K frame or a set of swap mount and a small block tranny aswell as a stronger rear.

Hi, i am switching my 73 duster over also. I went a different route. I bought a 74 dart 318 car (complete) from the junk yard for 500.00. With this car i got the v-8 radiator and throttle linkages, K-frame, front disc brakes, the 904 tranny and an 8 1/4 rear, this will update you to 4 1/2 bolt circle axles also. I bought a 360 for 150.00 for rebuild and decided to go 340 instead. bought a set of X heads for 300.00 from a running car. Found a used 340 short block with 520 cam and flat tops for 500.00. ( ready to run, a local guys spare for his drag car)I will probably go with a milder cam. I still have the 318 and 360 for extra parts to complete the 340. I bought a 3310 holley 750 cmf for 30.00 and 24.00 for the rebuild kit (still lookin for an airgap intake used). The main thing is don't try to do to much to quickly, If you take your time and look around you can assemble all the parts you need and save alot of money, as for shumacher make sure you have a fat wallet. Alot of guys on here have good intentions but some have more money than others, you will also need a weighted torque converter or weighted BM flexplate for a 360. Also any 360 with 400 horses will also need a stall converter. Thanks for listening to my rambling , :coffee2: walt

Like Walt says..it can be done on the cheap to, just have to make more effort..Some of us dont have a fat enough wallet to do things more than once, or all at once. Or, in my case..none of my stuff gets done at all...lol.

-
Back