Need some help figuring this out

-

Matts440

Reaction score
Okay first off I was a dummy and should have taken a picture of the board that another member did for all this before I swapped it over but I didn't. Okay so I have power going to the 87 pin on the ign relay but its not going anywhere else, the left side pin 86 is ground(same relay), 85 pin white wire goes to the other relays. The back 30 pin takes power to the first fuel pump relay to its 87 pin and down to another fuse inline one. Hope the pics help. Power is only going to the 8 fuse panel side by side since power goes directly to there from batt. But off the ign relay power is not going to anything else. Did I wire it wrong? I left the fuel pump #1 87 pin second pin open thinking to run the power to my #1 fuel pump, #2 pump comes on once the ms3x triggers it too

View attachment 1715501460

20200405_134558.jpg

20200405_142037.jpg

20200405_142149.jpg

I know the second fuel pump will get wired positive to its relay due to it being a double + and the ms3x will send the ground signal. Since 85 is the trigger, 86 and 30 both have power to them or will once I figure out why the fuel pump #1 relay isn't getting fuel, but the blue wire to 30 pin is getting power off the fuse panel with the 4x4 side by side block.

neg2pos.gif

20200405_145046.jpg

Everything else is and the ground is triggered off the computer. Just the first pump relay gets power from the ign relay off 30. So the Ign relay is more of a primary power feed. Should I swap the hot wire to 30 and move the other power to 87??

Normally 30 is the battery, not the load. This is because some relays are SPDT (One normally open, one normally closed, and 30 is the common of those two, IE the armature

It is important to get the coil polarity correct because some? many? most? have internal spike diodes, which will become a dead short if wired reverse polarity

This diagram is worded poorly, "coil control" should be labeled "coil positive" As you can switch (control) the coil either in the ground or plus end

Some relays do not have the NC contacts, so, are either missing the 87A or have 87A and 87 paralleled for more current, both being hooked to the NO contact

mini-automotive-relay-wiring-840x.jpg

Last edited:
Okay swapped them, still nothing, so probably since I had it swapped made the relay go bad? Should I swap ground from 86 to 85?

I think I see what's missing I don't have a trigger to open the relay its just power going to it. So if my batt power comes into 30, then ground 85, and then power sent out from 87, I need to wire a key on power to 86 right? All the relays do have a 87a.

Last edited:
Can either of you show how you would run power to relays inline? Do they all need triggers? Sorry for all the questions,for wiring a normal job I'm okay with but relays have always got me, plus not being the one who wired it initially doesn't help either but in known it all worked for mad dart since he ran his motor with it all I just screwed it up somewhere

Don't overthink. 85--86 is simply the magnet coil for the relay. Only caveat as I said earlier is if it has a spike diode internally. This makes it polarity sensitive. So normally 85 is ground or through a control to ground. Many of the EFI modules control in this manner because they are switching a transistor to ground, this is known as 'an open collector.' In that case, you don't switch the power side, other than whether you want it through the key or hot all the time

86 gets power either full time, through the key, and if the 85 is tied to ground, whatever switching is done in that lead. So it just depends on where the switching is done

You can tell if they are trying to energize by metering them. One way to do that would be to take some of those spare "tap off" flag terminals and hook a lamp to them. A lamp, not an LED. Or alligator clips. you can tie that to the relay 85-86 and see if it's trying to engage. Maybe the trouble is elsewhere.

As cracked back has been known to say, lots of ways to skin that cat. LOL

Update, switched the wires to their correct pins, found a key on power to energize the 86 pin off my fuse panel that I removed that circuit from the harness but left a little bit of the wire, so I'll connect that up this weekend. Found my headlight switch to be bad, power wasn't going anywhere but in. Would the a different size resistors on the switch help with all led bulbs 1 1/4" and 1 5/8"? Also the bigger resistor 1 5/8" one has a ground pin off the back would it be better for led? Again thanks for all the help

-
Back