Need some help from a Ga. Police officer

-

SGBARRACUDA

ROY
Legendary Member
Reaction score
OK, I know this is a long shot but, I gotta try. I bought a car from a FABO member in Ga. Its a 1965 Valiant 2dr 273 Automatic. Now before 1985 Ga. was a non title state. Now in Fl. to get a title you need a bill of sale, Tag registration and (the part I need here), I have a form that a Ga. trooper, Sheriff or local cop to verify the VIN and sign a paper I have. So my choice is 1- tow the car 200 miles to Ga. and find a cop to do this or 2- Get a Ga. Officer that is maybe vacationing in Fl., maybe going to Disney World or See World to come by my house and take care of this for me. For which I would gladly give them some Vacation money to spend.
Anyone know of a Ga officer traveling to Fl?

33CD41FC-11A2-4F37-8180-8736014202F2.jpeg

Is that the car you bought from Chris?

When I've brought cars in from Georgia, I got a local Florida cop to verify the VIN. Never had to import a cop from Georgia

Maybe a local cop could inspect the vehicle on behalf of a GA cop. Wouldnt hurt to ask.

The prices for those title services have skyrocketed in the past few years. I have used them many times and recently got a price and it was outrageous.

Did DMV know that a Fl. cop signed it? Or did they not ask?

Damned if I know. Did it for several cars, never had a problem. If it's just a matter of verifying the VIN, I can't imagine why a Florida cop couldn't do it. But then I haven't looked at the Florida statutes, either.

If you end up needing to do it, I just got off the phone with my friend whose a Gray police officer and I talked to the Deputy Chief on Facebook too. They both said as long as the car runs through GCIC ok, any of them will be glad to sign off on it. My friend even said he has the forms in his car if you bring it to Georgia, he'll do it himself.

The Deputy Chief said since you're a retired fireman, try calling one of the fire stations close to the border in Georgia. He said they'll for sure have some cop friends that'll hook you up. That way, you wouldn't have to come REAL far.....but they both did say they'll have to see the car. I kinda figured that.

The prices for those title services have skyrocketed in the past few years. I have used them many times and recently got a price and it was outrageous.

That sucks, It cost me $75 to do a title for a bike that came from Japan, It was a great deal. It was a few years back for sure.

Looking at the Florida title application, I read it as saying that the physical inspection and verification of the VIN can be done by a licensed dealer, Florida notary public, police officer or employee of the division of motor vehicles or of the tax collector. Here's a screen shot of the relevant section of the form:

upload_2021-8-24_22-2-37.png

If you end up needing to do it, I just got off the phone with my friend whose a Gray police officer and I talked to the Deputy Chief on Facebook too. They both said as long as the car runs through GCIC ok, any of them will be glad to sign off on it. My friend even said he has the forms in his car if you bring it to Georgia, he'll do it himself.

The Deputy Chief said since you're a retired fireman, try calling one of the fire stations close to the border in Georgia. He said they'll for sure have some cop friends that'll hook you up. That way, you wouldn't have to come REAL far.....but they both did say they'll have to see the car. I kinda figured that.
Thanks I may ask Fl. DMV if they care if a Fl. cop does this. I have the paper work on the 1970 Duster that I have a cop coming by tomorrow to do the same thing on.

Looking at the Florida title application, I read it as saying that the physical inspection and verification of the VIN can be done by a licensed dealer, Florida notary public, police officer or employee of the division of motor vehicles or of the tax collector. Here's a screen shot of the relevant section of the form:

View attachment 1715786146
Yeah I have that form for the Duster I'm having done tomorrow. The Ga. Paper work isn't so lenient. It say a Ga. cop.

Thanks I may ask Fl. DMV if they care if a Fl. cop does this. I have the paper work on the 1970 Duster that I have a cop coming by tomorrow to do the same thing on.

If you end up having to drag it up here, send me the VIN before hand and I'll get my friend to run it and make sure there aren't any snags first. It'd suck to get all the way up here and not be able to get it done.

No Georgia car had a title before 1963. And if you brought a pre-1963 car into Georgia with a title from out of state, you could not get a Georgia title. When my family moved to Georgia in 1967, we had a Florida title for our 62 Dodge, but could not get a Georgia title.

1963-on Georgia cars did originally have titles, but for many, many years, once a 63 or later Georgia car was twelve years old, you could transfer ownership in Georgia without transferring title. When my Dad passed away in 1984, I transferred ownership of his 67 Charger to me. I was still a Georgia resident at the time, and had to insist on getting a title, as the tag office kept telling me I didn't need one. No, but I sure wanted one. They really didn't want to do the extra work, but I did get a Georgia title, but only because I insisted.

That 12 year rule was finally changed, in the last couple of decades I believe. But the consequence of that is that most pre-1980 Georgia cars don't have titles. No reason to use a title service when bringing a Georgia car to Florida, though. All you need is a current Ga. tag receipt and a bill of sale, and then have someone come out and confirm the VIN.

Last edited:
OK, I know this is a long shot but, I gotta try. I bought a car from a FABO member in Ga. Its a 1965 Valiant 2dr 273 Automatic. Now before 1985 Ga. was a non title state. Now in Fl. to get a title you need a bill of sale, Tag registration and (the part I need here), I have a form that a Ga. trooper, Sheriff or local cop to verify the VIN and sign a paper I have. So my choice is 1- tow the car 200 miles to Ga. and find a cop to do this or 2- Get a Ga. Officer that is maybe vacationing in Fl., maybe going to Disney World or See World to come by my house and take care of this for me. For which I would gladly give them some Vacation money to spend.
Anyone know of a Ga officer traveling to Fl?

View attachment 1715786134
ContactFABO member Bubba since he was a Ga.Trooper.

If you end up having to drag it up here, send me the VIN before hand and I'll get my friend to run it and make sure there aren't any snags first. It'd suck to get all the way up here and not be able to get it done.
Thanks I’ll do that. Chris went ahead and put insurance on it.

Yeah I have that form for the Duster I'm having done tomorrow. The Ga. Paper work isn't so lenient. It say a Ga. cop.

OK, not to beat this horse to death, but I'm not sure why you would need to go through Georgia at all. Unless - and this just occurred to me - you plan to register the car in Georgia?? I guess I overlooked that you are located in Georgia and Florida.

OK, not to beat this horse to death, but I'm not sure why you would need to go through Georgia at all. Unless - and this just occurred to me - you plan to register the car in Georgia?? I guess I overlooked that you are located in Georgia and Florida.
No not registering it in Ga. I bought a 1969 C-10 truck from Ga. about 5 years ago. Fl. required this verification form signed by a Ga. officer plus a bill of sale plus a tag registration showing the guy who's name was on the Bill of Sale had the right to sell it to me. Then I got a Fl title.

Now I may be able to use the Fl. form and get a Fl. officer to verify it. I'm going to check.

-
Back