Need some help! Shift cable adjustment

-

BadAss71

Let's Go Brandon
Reaction score
65 dart slant six, column shifted automatic. The car wont always go in to park. Sometimes it does if you throw it into park. Most of the time you can push the car in park and hear the parking pawl clicking like it's just not going in all the way. This is the first cable shifted 904 I have had the pleasure of working on, just need some advise!

Loosen the park cable while in neutral,give it a little tug.Be sure the cable housing is in fact loose.After you tug,it will go back into the trans,find it's comfy spot and tighten it up.You just need to get the hang of it,it's not hard:glasses2:

Attachments

• DSCN0031r2.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 87
  • IMG_1727.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 91
  • IMG_1822.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 89
You may want to unbolt the cable from the column (I know, it's a royal pain!) and make sure the cable is moving free and easy. Those things are notorious for fraying and binding. Check the cable housing for kinks or hot spots from being too close to the exhaust. If the cable is in good shape, there is a little adjustment you can make to get the cable a little more throw. There is a bracket that attaches to the column tube that holds the cable ends. Loosen the two bolts and move the bracket so the park cable goes farther into the cable housing. You may have to readjust the shift cable after doing this.

Thanks for the help gentlemen! What I ended up doing was removing the cable housing where it goes into the trans at the back of the pan and found someone did not install the spring correctly! I put it back together and it works perfectly! :hello1:

-
Back