Need some help, startup after 5 year parked

-

rick1062

Reaction score
Well after a few months of tinkering with a 1965 Barracuda 273 auto (904), we finally got it running. It had been parked for about 5 years.

Just a couple of issues:

1. After warming up, the engine dies sometimes as soon as I touch the throttle. If I feather it, or ease into it usually won't die, but if I just step on it or accelerate normally, it will most likely die. Feels kind of like a fuel issue. Any ideas?

2. When accelerating, especially when going from zero up to about 40mph, it feels like it shutters. The car shakes a bit, but if I let off the throttle and ease into it, there is much less or no shutter. Feels like a trans issue, but not sure. Any ideas?

Thanks for your input,

Rick

If it were me, I would start by looking at the carb and fuel pump.Have they been sitting five years also?

Did you clean the plugs and points?
Sounds like you may have a fuel and spark issue.
Gas fresh?

If it were me, I would start by looking at the carb and fuel pump.Have they been sitting five years also?

Yes they have been sitting also. But I installed a gasket kit with accellerator pump in the carb.

As far as the fuel pump goes, there is a clear fuel filter before the carb and it has plenty of fuel in it all the time. Also I drained the tank and put new clean fuel in it.

Rick

Also, what is your timing set out.

Just a thought but I would get rid of the clear filter. It's not safe. Could break and cause a big fire in a little wreck.

Well after a few months of tinkering with a 1965 Barracuda 273 auto (904), we finally got it running. It had been parked for about 5 years.

Just a couple of issues:

1. After warming up, the engine dies sometimes as soon as I touch the throttle. If I feather it, or ease into it usually won't die, but if I just step on it or accelerate normally, it will most likely die. Feels kind of like a fuel issue. Any ideas?

2. When accelerating, especially when going from zero up to about 40mph, it feels like it shutters. The car shakes a bit, but if I let off the throttle and ease into it, there is much less or no shutter. Feels like a trans issue, but not sure. Any ideas?

Thanks for your input,

Rick

X3 on the carb clean.
Sounds like no accelerator pump shot. Check fuel pressure.

X3 on the carb clean.
Sounds like no accelerator pump shot. Check fuel pressure.

What does X3 on the carb clean mean?

I was thinking accelerator pump too, but it is new, with the kit. Maybe the throttle butterflies are opening a bit before the pump squirts out any fuel. Possibly I can adjust the pump activation. What do you think?

Rick

Also, what is your timing set out.

Did the carb rebuild.

The timing is a good question. There is no timing pointer on this engine. I am not even sure whrer it should be. I have not turned the distributer at all. I need some help on getting a timing pointer.

Rick

"X3 on the carb clean" means he 'thirds' the suggestion.
So I will add X4 on the cleaning. But also, I think you may have a vacuum leak. Try spraying (very carefully!) starting fluid around the base and fittings. If idle picks up, there's your trouble. Keep a fire bottle handy, though. Starting fluid will go up like the Hindenburg around a flame.

Double check visually for pump shot through squirter on the carb. Sometimes that passage can be a bear to clear, and I've seen bad pumps in kits. Just saying. Verify advance weights are free in distributor. Down and dirty timing is to set timing a couple points less than max vacumn with the can disconnected. Back it up a little more if it's hard to start.

-
Back