Need some help troubleshooting...

-

grassy

Reaction score
It has been monsooning here so not much trouble shooting has been done...but if I can avoid heading off in the wrong direction , it would be a help.

360 engine. Clean fuel filter. New carb etc..all about 2K kms old..between 1/2 and 1/4 tank gas.

Coming into our subdivision..a slight hill..car started sputtering like there was no gas.. volt meter dropped to 12 v from 14. Kicked back in...same thing happened again..then ok..just when he was coming into the driveway..same thing and died. Wouldn't start. No vacume in gas tank.

Went out next day.. the engine "tried" to start ..no joy. Smell of gas. Gas in filter. All wires attached. Router cap seems to be ok..no blackening on edge of button but some on top.

V meter back to where it is supposed to but we are killing the battery turning it over.

All grounds tight..battery cables tight..Next step is spark test ?

Al I can think of is spark or fuel...his buddy suggested timing belt slippage..he drives a Honda..

Best bet is Coil ? My coil has an internal ballast..

Maybe gas pump...I am stretching here..

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Ian.

Disconnect fuel line and get something to catch fuel while cranking over..sounds like your fuel pump may be on its way out.

X2 on the fuel pump. Are you sure the filter is clean?
Next time it dies, pull the air cleaner and see if the accelerator pump squirts.

Thanks...this was a new part.....what is the longevity on this part ?

Fingers crossed..

ian.

Rev,

Won't start..

Should I be able to see this with a flash light ? Not used to American carbs....

I should be able to buy one at NAPA...

Thanks
ian.

Rev,

Won't start..

Should I be able to see this with a flash light ? Not used to American carbs....

I should be able to buy one at NAPA...

Thanks
ian.

Which carb do you have?
For that matter, which fuel pump, filter, oh hell, what is the deal on the coil, too?

holley 670 Street Avenger , normal lever fuel pump, normal see through filer and coil with internal ballast. Pretty normal, standard stuff....

Air filter cover in the way...but you can see the filter..

f-XL.jpg

Maybe it's the timing belt.

(Sorry, couldn't help myself).

Or the purple power valve...I heard I would be using a yellow one ? :)

I shall report back tomorrow...I hope it stops raining...

Thanks
Ian.

Pull the air cleaner off and crank the engine. Be mindfull that if you have a stuck float, you could have fuel spewing out the vent tubes. I've seen that more than a few times.

I'm gonna say maybe not the fuel pump for the moment because you mentioned the fuel smell.

Or the purple power valve...I heard I would be using a yellow one ? :)

I shall report back tomorrow...I hope it stops raining...

Thanks
Ian.

The power valve won't usually keep you from running, if it's bad, you could run like crap.
You don't usually have bad power valve problems with Street Avengers, though.

If you take the air cleaner off and look down the primary throats on the carb, you will see two needle looking things that should squirt gas when you push the throttle back. That's the discharge for the accelerator pump.

Engines need four things to run. Air, fuel, spark and they need it all at the right time.

The correct flow chart goes like this.

Verify fuel in the tank.

Verify fuel at the carburetor. Make sure it has a strong steady stream from the accelerator pump.

Verify proper air flow. Make sure the air cleaner or carburetor inlet is not impeded.

Verify spark at the plug. Remove a wire and plug a screwdriver in the end of the wire. Hold it close to ground while spinning the engine. The spark should be strong and blue or bluish white. Yellow is weaker and orange sucks.

Finally, make sure all of this is happening at the right time. Remove #1 plug, bump the engine until it JUST begins to blow your finger out of the hole, then turn the engine clockwise until the timing marks are zeroed up. Remove the cap and verify the rotor is pointing to #1.

I see a copper fuel line running up beside the #2 header
That fuel line is messed up. Its a disaster waiting to happen.

I agree. ....and there's way too much rubber in the fuel system, but none of that is making it not run.

Lets not forget Compression RRR
Engines need four things to run. Air, fuel, spark and they need it all at the right time
:cheers: MT

Engines need four things to run. Air, fuel, spark and they need it all at the right time.

The correct flow chart goes like this.

Verify fuel in the tank.

Verify fuel at the carburetor. Make sure it has a strong steady stream from the accelerator pump.

Verify proper air flow. Make sure the air cleaner or carburetor inlet is not impeded.

Verify spark at the plug. Remove a wire and plug a screwdriver in the end of the wire. Hold it close to ground while spinning the engine. The spark should be strong and blue or bluish white. Yellow is weaker and orange sucks.

Finally, make sure all of this is happening at the right time. Remove #1 plug, bump the engine until it JUST begins to blow your finger out of the hole, then turn the engine clockwise until the timing marks are zeroed up. Remove the cap and verify the rotor is pointing to #1.

Can't be explained any better than this.^^^^^^^^^^^^^

YUP- COVER up the gas lines or re-run them... and i see what looks like a 1/2 aluminum carburetor base plate? maybe get a Phenolic or plastic base plate...

So popped off the gas line and spun her over..strong squirts..

Reconnected line and spun it over to look for squirts in carb...didn't see any but the car started. Sounds like the idle is hunting ...

Not comfortable with the results.

I actually did shield the gas line coming up...just not that short piece.. shall put it on my list...

Still puzzled..

ian.

I was just being an ***! Always good accurate advice RRR. MT:burnout:

Bein an *** is usually my job. Maybe that's why I missed it. Since I am an ***, that kinda cancelled out bein able to spot somebody else bein one.

LMAO

Took it out for a thrash...worked 'till we backed it back into it's spot in the driveway...put it in first again and it died..no start again..

Pull out #1 plug and spun the engine..no spark..culprit, the coil....bought an axcel this time..

Starts much quicker and throttle response is much better..

Thanks
ian

Fantabulous. Glad you got it sorted out, Ian.

-
Back