Need some help with Carb

-
Reaction score
Hello all, I have a 1965 Plymouth Barracuda with a V8 273 (Carter model 38445 2BBL).

I believe my carburetor is completely shot! Can someone please help me find an aftermarket carburetor that is not a carter. I am looking into either an edelbrock or holley.

Also, the remote choke thermostat is shot. I found one online but I am not sure if I should just go for an electric conversion. Thats if there is one available. If someone knows where I can find one please let me know.

You want to go from a 2bbl. to a 4bbl. carb?

An Edelbrock Carb is basicly a Carter slightly updated. Use a 500 cfm unit. They come with electric chokes and only need a 12 volt wire for the choke when the key is in the on position. Use a test light to check.

Try summitt racing.com to look one up.

You want to go from a 2bbl. to a 4bbl. carb?

An Edelbrock Carb is basicly a Carter slightly updated. Use a 500 cfm unit. They come with electric chokes and only need a 12 volt wire for the choke when the key is in the on position. Use a test light to check.

Try summitt racing.com to look one up.

Thanks a lot for your info. I appreciate it. I attempted a rebuild this morning and found out the choke assembly is the issue, but I still plan on buying another carb. Quick question does the new carbs come bolt on ready or will it require tuning prior to starting. I'm fairly mechanically incline but I have little experience with carbs.

I believe my choke is shot as it is just moving freely and the air horn disc does not remain open or closed. I had it running up until today but I think it won't turn over now b because I went wrong somwhere when I rebuilt the carb. I think it is the crappy accelerator plunger that came with the rebuild kit.

Any suggestions.... Although I will be replacing the carb I'm interested why it will not crank? I can see gas come out of jeta when the plunger is depressed.

Thanks

Not to insult, but your the terms you use are much like an alien speaking to me, are you new to cars?

Quick question does the new carbs come bolt on ready or will it require tuning prior to starting.
Yes and sort of.

The carb comes ready to bolt on. (If you have a 4bbl. manifold for it)
They require tuning in most every case, though sometimes it ios really close to where it should be it could be left alone.

You tune the carb after you start the car in 2 way. The possible jet/rod changes and intial settings. Instructions are included with the Edelbrock carbs.

I believe my choke is shot as it is just moving freely and the air horn disc does not remain open or closed.
Sounds like a working unit during the summer to me.

Although I will be replacing the carb I'm interested why it will not crank? I can see gas come out of jeta when the plunger is depressed.
Why the engine won't crank is one thing, why the carb doesn't work is another.
Gas coming out of the squirters when you open the throttle is what is supposed to happen. The accelerator pump is doing it's job.

-
Back