need some help with this Duster...

-

mtandrews

beware the Ides of March
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
hey y'all, a friend of mine is looking at bidding on this Duster...
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Plym...527QQitemZ170672768295QQptZUSQ5fCarsQ5fTrucks
it says its a numbers matching 340 car and that he has the build sheet. I looked at the pics but I thought 340 cars had the Rallye gauges. What else am i missing? Aren't the grilles different from the base models as well? What about the steering wheel? Please chime in as there are only 2 days left on this car...

Here is what i found when i decoded the vin

Vehicle Identification Number: VS29H28239666
Vehicle Model: Valiant/Duster/Scamp
Vehicle Class: Special Price Class (Duster 340,Barracuda Cuda)
Vehicle Body Style: 2 Door Sports Hardtop
Vehicle Engine: 340 CID/240 HP 4 BBL V8
Vehicle Year: 1972
Vehicle Assembly Plant: Invalid
Assembly Sequence Number: 239666

The steering wheel looks correct. No rally dashes were offered after 71 on A-Body cars.

Good luck to your friend. The seller lists a phone #, call and ask him to send better pics of the fender tag, build sheet, etc.

Front grill is incorrect. It should have a sharks tooth grill.

From the pics everything looks correct on this car except for the grill as previously mentioned and it has incorrect wheel centers which is not a big ticket item. To get the correct grill expect to pay another 2k or more for a good one. Seller says underneath is all good. Hope so for the price is at about the limit for the way it stands.

I have a question about it. The shot of the MC shows two hoses hooked up to the booster. I know one would go to the carb, where does the second hose connect to? Is this correct?
Thanks,
C

he's passing on it. called the seller and he gave a bunch of "uh, I'm gonna have to get back to you on that" responses. I suggested that he take a pass, but if he gets it anyway I'll support him. I told him to sign up here on FABO as there is more info here than he can shake a stick at.

It's probably a good thing to pass on this one. It looks like it has some pretty good rust problems going. Also, it looks to me that the whole front end has been changed to the '70-1 style. Maybe I'm looking at it wrong but the front side lights look like the earlier ones don't they? Also the front bumper doesn't have the jack slots so it's definately an earlier one. The front signal lights in the grille look like they're missing the bezels and the antenna mast is missing/broken off.

-
Back