Need some opinions/ advice from some of you "gun hands"

-

67Dart273

Reaction score
There's been so much hype on AR platforms I'm thinking of getting my feet wet, probably a 5.56. What advice do you have on where to buy parts, good buys, just as important, where NOT to, and how to approach doing a lower?

And "how bad" are composite lowers? I have a drill press and Jet mill drill, and consider my milling skills pretty much "beginner." But I do have some measuring tools, etc. No digital scales on the mill

Or is the DIY thing about done, and what price difference between building a decent one and buying a decent solid one used? Many of you know I'm in Idaho so laws are fairly flexible, at least for now.

I'm not interested in a bunch of fancy extras, but with my eyesight I'll need some sort of optical sight, either low power scope or refractor, etc. But I can do that later.

Obviously not young enough to help you... what the heck is an AR platform??? :lol:

AR refers to the AR15 or in military speak, M-16 style rifle (or as Libs call them, Assault Rifles).

16″ AR-15 Rifle Kit with 80% Lower Receiver​

Read the full ad to learn more about them.

80% Stripped Lower Receiver is not fully Machined and needs Machining to complete lower receiver.

You can get the rifle kit, assemble it yourself. You will need to machine out the opening in the "Lower".

(Build Your Own)

Ammo around .60 - .65 cents a round plus shipping.

These are some nice inexpensive flip up sights that easily mount on the top rail.

Screenshot_20230512-013647_Firefox.jpg

Light gathering fiber optic Red and Green dots are a big help being able to see. Around 20 bucks.

Other optics start at 100 on up.

☆☆☆☆☆

Here is what the 80% Lower looks like before it is machined out.

Screenshot_20230512-015214_Firefox.jpg

Here is the machining spec sheet if you have the skills and equipment to make it happen.

ar15-print-detail.jpg

☆☆☆☆☆

If you build your own gun from an 80% kit, that is your gun.

If you buy an existing complete gun, then you need to go to your local County service center and apply for a gun permit. Then the gun transaction has to go through a local FFL and they do a background check. Then the gun gets registered then they hand the gun over to you, when all the requirements are passed.

Hope that answers all of your questions.

☆☆☆☆☆

Thanks you guys. The way I work, "this may take awhile." When I said buy, I should have been more clear--I mean an off the shelf used (probably not new) commercially manufactured rifle. Not a DIY deal, although I guess I could leave the lower with the seller, or destroy it, and then do my own lower.

I found it easier to just complete the steps and buy one legally. It IS my gun and no one is going to take it away from me.

_025B55T0bj6n1rbODxjK8Q=w1648-h927-s-no?authuser=0.jpg

Thanks you guys. The way I work, "this may take awhile." When I said buy, I should have been more clear--I mean an off the shelf used (probably not new) commercially manufactured rifle. Not a DIY deal, although I guess I could leave the lower with the seller, or destroy it, and then do my own lower.

There are a number of manufacturers that are producing decent pieces. The grail used to be the sub-$1k AR. Not sure if that's the case any longer. Like everything else, it will depend on what you're intent is for use. Barrel length, type optics, bolt, gas tube, furniture etc will drive price. Old school long barrel, full stock M16 with carrying handle, M4 or precision rig.
Can't say I've often if ever seen an AR in the Used rack

The usual manufacturers will provide your high-end arm. Some of the best lesser known brands like Del-Ton are quality entry pieces. Lots of info out there on the interwebs.

Good luck.

All that's just too dang much to worry about. We have a local firearms guru that everyone in this county and several others go to......even law enforcement. Tell him what you want. He builds it. lol

There are a number of manufacturers that are producing decent pieces. The grail used to be the sub-$1k AR. Not sure if that's the case any longer. Like everything else, it will depend on what you're intent is for use. Barrel length, type optics, bolt, gas tube, furniture etc will drive price. Old school long barrel, full stock M16 with carrying handle, M4 or precision rig.

The usual manufacturers will provide your high-end arm. Some of the best lesser known brands like Del-Ton are quality entry pieces. Lots of info out there on the interwebs.

Good luck.
Del-Ton is what I bought about 3 years ago for something like $700. It is fine as far as I can tell. There was a Daniel Defense available also at that time for $2000. A friend told me that was like a Lamborgini and I didn't really need that. Later in every comparison article I read, the Daniel Defense was rated #1. Kinda wish I had gotten it.
As far as eye sight and scopes, I went with this.

Primary Arms SLx 5x36mm Gen III Prism Scope 710028 Color: Black, Fabric/Material: Aluminum, w/ Free Shipping

I love it. It can help you determine range. I tried some scopes with more magnification, but for me, it just makes the target appear to move around too much, meaning I can't hold the rifle still enough. But even 3x makes a lot of difference for me on targets around 80 to 100 yards. I have gotten great service from opticsplanet. I have tried red dot sights which can be good to get on target quickly, but for pin point accuracy, the red dot seems to me to block the target in the sight. It just gets me real close.

I get my ammo from

Outdoor Limited | Cheap Ammo For Sale | Buy Bulk Ammo Online

5.56 is from $0.40 per round and up. I would suggest not buying very much ammo until you try different brands with your rifle. They don't all shoot the same as in accuracy.
Some good gun comparisons here.

Last edited:
There's been so much hype on AR platforms I'm thinking of getting my feet wet, probably a 5.56. What advice do you have on where to buy parts, good buys, just as important, where NOT to, and how to approach doing a lower?

And "how bad" are composite lowers? I have a drill press and Jet mill drill, and consider my milling skills pretty much "beginner." But I do have some measuring tools, etc. No digital scales on the mill

Or is the DIY thing about done, and what price difference between building a decent one and buying a decent solid one used? Many of you know I'm in Idaho so laws are fairly flexible, at least for now.

I'm not interested in a bunch of fancy extras, but with my eyesight I'll need some sort of optical sight, either low power scope or refractor, etc. But I can do that later.
Morning good Sir, I notice you are in Idaho so you are in one of the strong 2A states. As a result sometimes the regulations and associated advice from different States may or may not apply to you. Do some local State research and be sure you have a good understanding of your areas laws around building your own firearm. First and foremost to @WV64Signet point first step is identifying what is the primary use of the rifle? Once you establish that you can then develop your bill of materials and cost analysis for assembling your purpose built rifle. Then you can run a cost comparison between your cost to build and purchasing one already assembled. I own and operate a Firearms Training Center, I teach a broad spectrum of students from SWAT guys to first time Gun owners. I also compete in a multitude of disciplines including black rifle events. What I am trying to gracefully say is I see a lot of equipment and folks running it. With todays lead times and cost of components I have seen a migration away from building your own AR to purchasing it assembled then making the modifications specific to the end users need. The guys we are seeing building their own lately are doing so simply because they want to build their own from a sense of pride and ownership, the decision is not cost driven as most guys spend more building than buying one. Selecting options will make you dizzy! Take your time and do some research. There is a good thread here in FABO called guns dogs and blades. There is a whole bunch of AR builders in that thread. While I do in fact have both the equipment and skill set to build my own I chose to purchase a Daniel Defense for my competition needs. A decision I have never regretted. I apologize for being long winded but you did ask! A question like that is like asking this bunch which cam to put in! Hah! Please do not hesitate to send me a PM and I will answer any questions you might have anytime.

An AR is called an Armalite.
Plenty of info explaining why it has been called other things due to political tactics and ignorance.

Buy a used one for 500 at a gun store. Various brands. Typical price.
Then you have a registered gun for the alphabets to know where to come to get it. Remember, "they" don't register them, they just check you out with their "background" checks. No supposed list.

Build your own and it is yours. Build ten, and they are yours. Dems like to call these "ghost" guns.
Technically you are not allowed to complete your own 80% lower. You are "required" to take that to a gun smith that will stamp a serial number on the lower and turn that into the alphabets so that you are then "registered" in their database.

Build yourself a 223/556 as that is the most common military round in America. That bullet will be available during any type of crisis in this country as well as many nato countries.
You can build your own for around 400 bucks. That would be shipped to your door in pieces in 2-3 days.

When you have built your universal 556, then go ahead and build a shooter with a different round that isn't as common.
300 black out is a great round for sub-sonic quiet can shooting.
6.8 is a phenomenal round that is a really good hunting round.

375 Socom is by far my favorite round.
375 SOCOM Barrels, Uppers, & Parts Archives - Tromix Lead Delivery Systems
That one has a kick but is very reliable where as the 458 socom is too much in my opinion.
Same with the beowulf, just too much. But if you really need to put a hole in the block of a semi truck then this might work.

I know all this as I have a friend that builds his own (not the lower)(disclaimer) and I have watched him many times over the years.
I only have a springfield trapdoor from the spanish American war.

I wonder why that is?
At my local hardware store (note I didn't say gunstore) there is usually at least half a dozen used ARs for sale
All that's just too dang much to worry about. We have a local firearms guru that everyone in this county and several others go to......even law enforcement. Tell him what you want. He builds it. lol
It's like rebuilding an engine
Sure, you can go with blueprint and get one that will do exactly what it needs to, and comes with a warranty, but some people want to be able to lift the hood and say "I build that"

Important to note, in addition to being "your gun", you are prohibited from making or doing any of the work for someone else to make "theirs gun" which includes family members.

You make yours, they make theirs. etc.

Years ago, when the 80% thing really took off, there were twe machine shops in CO that had CNC machines programmed such that all you had to do was place the lower in the machine properly, and push GO. They were bordering the rules by claming that since you pushed the button, you were making it. problem is, a CNC machine (the tool in use) has to be programmed and if you didn't do it, then you're not running the tool. The feds to offense to that and told them no, you have to use your own resources etc or some such thing.

In order to transfer an 80%, you need to be careful. if you make one, then decide you don't' want it a week later and go to sell it, that could be interpreted as manufacturing with intent to sell, then you get sticky quick.

If you're making them for YOU, t's a no brainer and the tools you have are WAY more than adequate.

Personally, I don't have a problem with iron sites, they are reliable and dead simple to use. However, if you 're going to get fancy with the flip up units, then do yourself a favor and get an upper without the iron sites to begin with.

Enjoy and welcome to the club.

An AR is called an Armalite.
Plenty of info explaining why it has been called other things due to political tactics and ignorance.

Buy a used one for 500 at a gun store. Various brands. Typical price.
Then you have a registered gun for the alphabets to know where to come to get it. Remember, "they" don't register them, they just check you out with their "background" checks. No supposed list.

Build your own and it is yours. Build ten, and they are yours. Dems like to call these "ghost" guns.
Technically you are not allowed to complete your own 80% lower. You are "required" to take that to a gun smith that will stamp a serial number on the lower and turn that into the alphabets so that you are then "registered" in their database.

Build yourself a 223/556 as that is the most common military round in America. That bullet will be available during any type of crisis in this country as well as many nato countries.
You can build your own for around 400 bucks. That would be shipped to your door in pieces in 2-3 days.

When you have built your universal 556, then go ahead and build a shooter with a different round that isn't as common.
300 black out is a great round for sub-sonic quiet can shooting.
6.8 is a phenomenal round that is a really good hunting round.

375 Socom is by far my favorite round.
375 SOCOM Barrels, Uppers, & Parts Archives - Tromix Lead Delivery Systems
That one has a kick but is very reliable where as the 458 socom is too much in my opinion.
Same with the beowulf, just too much. But if you really need to put a hole in the block of a semi truck then this might work.

I know all this as I have a friend that builds his own (not the lower)(disclaimer) and I have watched him many times over the years.
I only have a springfield trapdoor from the spanish American war.

You ae absolutely allowed to complete your own lower. You can't complete them for anyone else. If you want to transfer it, then you need to stamp it. I know in CO, things are stupid, but that's not the ATF rule.

I help run and admin-mod a gun website.
I normally stay out of the gun post on non gun forums.
Low end just want a AR ? Order a,PSA whole gun on sale shipped to your FFL. Fill out the new crazy 4473 that has more than male and female as far as sex on it and take gun home. The 80 percent will cost more and be worth less.
That's here in a free state. YMMV
I have owned AR-15 rifles my whole adult life have everything from orginal a Colt SP1 to high dollar to many in between.
Note) Reason they are used by nut jobs is are cheap and plentiful since they are the number one sporting rifle in the USA.
Same reason they have more of certain type cars on the road.
Not more evil just more of them

Last edited:

I'd stay away from the composite lowers myself, never thought they were a good idea for the long run. I shoot NRA Highpower competion and when I went from a bolt gun to the AR service rifle, I bought a Rock River Arms stripped lower and put it together myself and topped it with a ready to go upper from White Oak Armament. Did the same when I put together a space gun for match rifle class but this time in 6mm PDK which is a 6mm wildcat on the 6.8 case. Find a decent condition used gun or have your shop order in one of the myriad available complete rifles or an upper and a stripped lower and kit. I'm not even going to try to mention all the places you can look, there are a ton of vendors these days. If you are marginally handy, the lower is easy to put together, uppers require more tools and a little more attention. I've begun building uppers and chambering barrels for myself and it is very satisfying and not rocket science. These things are very modular and if you start with a good upper and lower forging, you can upgrade and change as you go. Doing your own work saves a bit of money to put towards ammo or the next rifle. I've also got three 80% lowers to do, but they haven't risen to the top of my "round-to-it" list yet. I think everyone should have a .223/5.56 AR platform rifle, they are a lot of fun and everyone in the family can handle one.

Thanks for the comments. It will take some time to digest all of this. As I said before, (too many irons in the fire) may take some time to get this all chewed.

Welder get out and stay the hell out of my thread. This is NOT a political discussion, and your opinions are not wanted. This was meant to be an INFORMATIONAL discussion, on "how to" and "how to get" parts. I could not care less about how and if illegals get firearms. I am not planning on supplying them with ANY either through sales or thefts or any other mechanism.

Thanks again. I'm in Idaho, so homebuilt guns require no paperwork "yet." But lets keep the politics to a minimum. Welder, go home. You have no useful information, none. You are officially uninvited

Thanks again. I'm in Idaho, so homebuilt guns require no paperwork "yet." But lets keep the politics to a minimum. Welder, go home. You have no useful information, none. You are officially uninvited

Sorry to have littered your thread, but dang it, if some fool is going to try and call me out for some bull he knows nothing about, even if he thinks he does, I'm going poke back.

Have fun with your new tool purchase.

-
Back