Need some opinions/ advice from some of you "gun hands"

-
Funny I saw this thread while I was on hold to order my now in stock handgaurd. They have been on back order awhile. My barrel and bolt came last week.

I help run and admin-mod a gun website.
I normally stay out of the gun post on non gun forums.
Low end just want a AR ? Order a,PSA whole gun on sale shipped to your FFL. Fill out the new crazy 4473 that has more than male and female as far as sex on it and take gun home. The 80 percent will cost more and be worth less.
That's here in a free state. YMMV
I have owned AR-15 rifles my whole adult life have everything from orginal a Colt SP1 to high dollar to many in between.
Note) Reason they are used by nut jobs is are cheap and plentiful since they are the number one sporting rifle in the USA.
Same reason they have more of certain type cars on the road.
Not more evil just more of them
You Sir are a glutton for punishment! I too admin and moderate a gun bunny site when I am not in Mopar land! You want a thankless gig moderate a site! Thanks for all you do promoting 2A!

OP...Palmetto State Armory is a pretty good source and regularly have good sales. Get on their and some of the other's mailing lists and in no time you'll have a nice AR15 without breaking the bank. Now what sights/scope to go on is a whole nother question....

My M&P shield came from PSA
Even with my locals shop adding in the FFL transfer fee it came out cheaper then anywhere else

The best bang for your buck would be a Smith and Wesson M&P15, about $600ish for a complete ready to run rifle. Palmetto State would be the next cheaper option, Aero Precision would be the next better option. If you are able to assemble parts, buying exactly the parts (stock, handguard, trigger) that you want is a good option. I just recently assembled a Wilson Combat AR, including a Geissele trigger, it was ~$1300 cheaper to assemble it myself than it was to buy it complete.

Don't forget the binary trigger option for twice the fun

I have to add, if you get an armalite then you can use the same lower on any of the upper platforms. One easy move and you just transfer your new upper on to your one existing lower. (for the most part)
That is truly a beauty about this brand. When in a pinch you can use others to fix yours.

Just want to thank our administration member for the work he put in to keep this thread cleaned up, thank you @kiwigtx

I have to add, if you get an armalite then you can use the same lower on any of the upper platforms. One easy move and you just transfer your new upper on to your one existing lower. (for the most part)
That is truly a beauty about this brand. When in a pinch you can use others to fix yours.
I dont' think that is a restriction on the AR15 platform, but may can be on the AR10. As far as I know unless they are high end custom designs, any of the commercially available AR15 upper and lower brands should mount up and function. They might be loose and rattle, but they are designed with a tolerance stack that allows that and still function perfectly. I guess there can be an outlier but if they are using the original specs, they should interchange.

Thanks for all the good info, and thanks to whoever cleaned up the mess on aisle 556, or maybe, 223. I MAY just buy one of the suggestions listed, but frankly, the idea of a rifle with NO ties to federal goons is appealing, which got me going on the l "lower" thing initially. I resent the term "ghost gun." Hell I might just build one in .22LR !!

Last edited:
Im pretty sure you have to register any 80% you build due to a recent law change. You used to be able to build them for yourself with no numbers but those days are gone.
You also have to pay attention to specific laws for your state. When it comes to AR's the laws can vary greatly from state to state.
Go to some local gun shops with a list of questions and write down their answers. Go to several shops and ask the same questions because I have found even some gun shops are not clear on the laws.

As far as the 22lr CMMG conversion and 22lr bolt they work great.
But 3 points
1 22lr is dirty
2 5.56 is a larger diameter
3 the rifling is 1-7, 1-8, 1-9 (unless you have a old SP1 Colt thst is 1-12
22lr really needs, 1-16 twist.
Most everyone that has bought the adapter I know of ends up doing one of 2 things.
1 buying or building a dedicated 22lr upper or whole gun with a real 22lr barrel
That's why if you look CMMG sells the beer is with barrel and colarand barrel, collar and bolt. Since a lot if guys already have the bolt from the conversion, and are doing a real 22lr.
dediacted 22lr upper with 22lr barrel is more accurate and keeps the dirty 22lr away from the 5.56 upper.
The upper with 5.56 uses a gas block and tube.
The 22lr does not and is blow back.
Also the buffer and spring should have a plug over the spring - buffer when shooting 22lr so the lower does not get beat up.
Quite a few brands out there.
Pressure Plug for AR15-22LR | Taccom3g

Im pretty sure you have to register any 80% you build due to a recent law change. You used to be able to build them for yourself with no numbers but those days are gone.
You also have to pay attention to specific laws for your state. When it comes to AR's the laws can vary greatly from state to state.
Go to some local gun shops with a list of questions and write down their answers. Go to several shops and ask the same questions because I have found even some gun shops are not clear on the laws.
From your own states web site.
Registration Of Unserialized, Privately-Made Firearms In Effect As Of June 1, 2022

Giffords does NOT like Idaho

"Idaho has no law restricting untraceable firearms, also known as “ghost guns,” or undetectable firearms."

Thanks again for the info. This will likely never leave Idaho. Thing is, In ID it presently does not need to be serialized or registered. I don't know why, if its' a problem, you could not DESTROY the lower, and sell the rest

Now that is excellent modding!!! I didn’t have to get pissed, explain anything and above all kept it out of N&P where we don’t need him!!!

There's a LOT of stuff to digest here!! On a side note, my eyes don't focus on iron sights anymore, and can not really be corrected with glasses. My neighbor gave me an old 4X Weaver and I bought a mount and rings and got it hangin onto the 30-30. My old Daisy powerline .177 now has a little scope, and the fire (turns out to be minor) damaged 10-22 has a Picatinny rail waiting when I get it cleaned up

The Stevens 84C (bolt, mag fed .22) is a different problem. It has two small holes about an inch apart right near the rear of the receiver, approx 45* off level. I have not ID'd yet, what they were for. They do not fit the Weaver mount claimed to fit, which I have.

That Stevens may need a couple holes added for the side mount scope. Not unusual for early versions not to have all the holes that the later ones shipped with. I had a Rem 721 like that wasn't drilled for scope mounts. The ones at the rear should be for a peep type sight. If you haven't tried one, they are easier to use than the barrel mounted sights. You could also have the top of the receiver drilled and tapped to take a standard mount of some sort, but keep in mind the path of the bolt handle. You may need to use higher rings than you think. For a plinker like that, I'd see about fitting a dot sight like the Bushnell TRS-25 to the front receiver ring or replace the rear sight assembly with a base for one. Rimfire Central forum has all the experts on these little rifles. Most of the folks are helpful.

What I have seen with regards to serializing 80% lowers is that the language calls out licensees who receive un-serialized, personally made firearms are required to serialize them. The general population are not licensees.

This FAQ from a law firm also indicates there is NO "federal" requirement to do this as a private builder/owner.

This is also being contested by several manufacturers.

However, as always, check your state laws.

That Stevens may need a couple holes added for the side mount scope. Not unusual for early versions not to have all the holes that the later ones shipped with. I had a Rem 721 like that wasn't drilled for scope mounts. The ones at the rear should be for a peep type sight. If you haven't tried one, they are easier to use than the barrel mounted sights. You could also have the top of the receiver drilled and tapped to take a standard mount of some sort, but keep in mind the path of the bolt handle. You may need to use higher rings than you think. For a plinker like that, I'd see about fitting a dot sight like the Bushnell TRS-25 to the front receiver ring or replace the rear sight assembly with a base for one. Rimfire Central forum has all the experts on these little rifles. Most of the folks are helpful.
The holes that are there don't match the claimed Weaver mount, which is not exactly listed as such by Weaver. So I'm thinking it is "somebody elses" mount. Leopold or someone. However if I get the 10-22 back up and going, I'll probably just be happy with that much

-
Back