Need someone with '68/'69 A-body rad experience.....

-

65Val

Average Length Member
Reaction score
Back story....been looking for a shroud for my '67 Dart, 273, and not having any luck mostly because they're made of "unobtainium" apparently, so my next brainstorm was to find '68 or '69 rad side brackets and have them installed on my '67 core and tanks. Now, they repro the shroud for '68/'69 small block rads, so, assuming the tanks and core are the same, physically, across all 3 years, I should be able to get '68/'69 brackets installed on my '67 rad, and then order a '68/'69 repro shroud, and it should fit????

Am I anywhere near correct here??

Don't see why that wouldn't work. The OEM's are as hard to find as your 67. I bought a aftermarket for my 69 that fits OK. I've had it for about 7-8 years.

You could probably do that but why wouldn't you just put a 68 radiator in your car so the 68 shroud fits? Why do all that extra work?

Why do you need a shroud?

Because a shroud is an important part of the cooling system to keep the engine from overheating...
tsk.gif

Why do you need a shroud?
good point! I just assumed he was having some cooling issues and wanted to keep things looking original but to be honest, on a 273, there's a good chance any decent radiator upgrade will cool that car down even without a shroud. If it had AC or was driving around town in 90+ temps often, then I'd probably recommend the shroud.

So what's the motivation for the shroud? :)

good point! I just assumed he was having some cooling issues and wanted to keep things looking original but to be honest, on a 273, there's a good chance any decent radiator upgrade will cool that car down even without a shroud. If it had AC or was driving around town in 90+ temps often, then I'd probably recommend the shroud.

It cools fine, when driving around...but when sitting still, as in a long stop-light, the temp starts rising and won't go down until I'm moving again. A shroud will help the fan draw more air through the rad while sitting and idling.

You could probably do that but why wouldn't you just put a 68 radiator in your car so the 68 shroud fits? Why do all that extra work?
I could do that, but, I just had this rad recored ($400+), so I don't want to spend for another rad and recore.

Last edited:
I'll have to look again, I'm pretty sure my shroud is a 68 and my radiator is the factory original (tanks and frame) and the shroud fits with no issues.

Alan

I bought one off a dodge truck for $5 at pick & pull. They have the same offset as an a body. Had to do a little trimming & improvise some mounting. Works great. Driver quality is ok for me since mine is a driver.

Found this image on Google for a '68/69 shroud. Their top to bottom mount holes are the same as mine (33.5cm), but the side-to-side measurement of theirs is 1cm too small..my rad is 56cm

art_11317.jpg

At 10mm's of difference over all, that's only 0.39" for us Yanks. The holes are slotted/oval/elliptical. I bet a rat tail would get it to fit, if even needed at all.
The dimensions look to be on center of the slot. Might see if a vendor will measure one for you or if someone here has one to measure.

It cools fine, when driving around...but when sitting still, as in a long stop-light, the temp starts rising and won't go down until I'm moving again. A shroud will help the fan draw more air through the rad while sitting and idling.
This is the exact reason why you'd want a shroud. I think using a 68 shroud on your current radiator even if it involves some ingenuity is probably easier than finding and welding tank brackets to your new recore. :)

This is the exact reason why you'd want a shroud. I think using a 68 shroud on your current radiator even if it involves some ingenuity is probably easier than finding and welding tank brackets to your new recore. :)
Exactly...If Alan confirms it fits, even with a bit of mods, I'll be going that way. I have been under the impression that '67 and '68/'69 were different enough that they wouldn't interchange.

This Stock 318 4bbl engine cools good with this 7 blade clutch fan setup and the small stock 19" wide radiator without a shroud.

20190725_132036.jpg

20190725_160714.jpg

Running cool sitting idling in the yard for a half hour on a warm day with the hood closed.

This Stock 318 4bbl engine cools good with this 7 blade clutch fan setup and the small stock 19" wide radiator without a shroud.

View attachment 1715381710

View attachment 1715381711
Running cool sitting idling in the yard for a half hour on a warm day with the hood closed.
If I can get a shroud to fit, that fan and clutch setup will probably be my next move. The little 4 blade job I have now just doesn't cut it.

Ooohhhh ! That's what the deal is you are running the stock 4 blade fan.

They are good to about 75° but then don't move enough air for the 80° plus days.

The 7 blades move all kinds of air, you can feel it standing by the fender with it running and the hood open.

20190723_081334.jpg

Short A Body fan clutch

7 blade mopar fan
20190724_133718.jpg

I have original 69 340 rad and shroud for 69 cuda. Also original 67 rsd and shroud setup in 67 cuda. I can get measurements if need be.

I've run a few 60s 318 cars, and can't recall them having shrouds. Even ran a "big-bore" teener in a 65 Valiant wagon with no shroud.
I wonder if there is an underlying issue.
I understand that what you are contemplating will probably cure it tho, so perhaps it's moot to mention it. Be vigilant.

The "Classic" catalog shows the same part number for a small block 67-69 radiator. The shroud they show is for a 68-69. I have a 67 Barracuda and ordered the radiator and the shroud. I haven't installed in the car yet, but I put the shroud over the radiator and it looks like the fit is pretty good, maybe not perfect.

The shroud does have elongated holes.

Original 67 Radiator
Img_0816r.jpg

68/69 shroud
Img_0814r.jpg

Fits perfectly, no forcing.

Alan

The "Classic" catalog shows the same part number for a small block 67-69 radiator. The shroud they show is for a 68-69. I have a 67 Barracuda and ordered the radiator and the shroud. I haven't installed in the car yet, but I put the shroud over the radiator and it looks like the fit is pretty good, maybe not perfect.
Thanks!...much appreciated.

-
Back