Need Suggestions for Height of Espo leaf springs with my QA1 set up for my 1964 valiant

-

Mopar64340

Reaction score
Hello guys, Thank you again for all the help

So I decided to go with Espo Leaf springs set up like the 340 cars had. But Iam wondering if I should go stock height on my 1964 Plymouth valiant or atleast 1inch higher?
I will be running QA1 Front upper and lower arms, QA1 shocks and front sway bar. The back will be QA1 shocks and a Rear sway bar. Has anybody done this set up with espo leaf springs ?

like the previous discussion, this comes down to ride height and how much tire you're trying to stuff into the wheel well. ultimately, that's the limiting factor and where you should base your decision off of.

i'd say go +1 because it can be lowered easily if need be.

I have found that the 6 leaf springs raise the rear about 2" out of the box. Which I guess is ok, if you are going for the Pro Stock look on a Duster.

I went 6-leaf and -2"on Mine, this pic is right after I torqued the eye bolts, rear axle jacked up just enuff to unload the supports;
1023162140-00.jpg

TThank you
like the previous discussion, this comes down to ride height and how much tire you're trying to stuff into the wheel well. ultimately, that's the limiting factor and where you should base your decision off of.

Thank you. Yea. Thats what im thinking. I plan on running 245s/60/15s

TThank you

Thank you. Yea. Thats what im thinking. I plan on running 245s/60/15s
The pic of My car above also had flipped frt. spring hangars, custom shackle mounts offset up ~1.375", & 15×7's...so that car is riding ~3.5" lower than a -0- lift/drop set of springs for comparison.

Imo -Set the height for how and where you're going to drive the car. While low looks cool, many road conditions, curbs, driveways etc enjoy destroying the undercarriage.

I will add 2 cents here. I put 6 leaf Espo plus 2 springs on my Duster to keep it raked when setting torsion bars at just above factory ride height (2” difference from bottom of pivot to bottom of ball joint on lower control arm). All front suspension is rebuilt. On front I run 215/65R15 at 26” tall and have no rubbing issue. Out back running 255/60R15 at 27” tall and from rear of front wheel well to front of back wheel well is around 1.25” gain from front to back. Now before you think I got wrong leaf gain or something, my other factors are that the front torsion bars are cranked to about 1/8“ above factory, with max height tire that fits in front wheel well. But the real story is the B-body rear axle that the spring perches were welded on at the wrong angle by prior owner which required me to use 6 degree shims to correct pinion angle, that lost 1/2” of lift in the back… had I gone with a +1 spring my ride height would be close to level front to back, no rake and stock +0 spring It would be squatted. So remember all of these factors add up, from tire size to torsion bar adjustment, but the pinion angle is the sneaky one that will start killing your ride height if you need shims to correct it, or live with a vibration. I lost 1/4” height changing the 3 degree shims to 6 degree shims this week to chase a vibration out of it. My pinion to driveshaft angle with 3 degree shims rotating it upwards was about 7 to 8 degrees, now it’s down to 2 to 3 degrees with the 6 degree shims in there, and another one of my vibrations is now gone. I know this is a long post now but this is all details that affect springs… and you must calculate accordingly with your front end on the tires and ride height you want first, and then your rear tires you want to run need to be present as well. after that I would go with +1 more than you think you need in case pinion angle needs to be adjusted with shims. Good luck.

Do you have a daylight picture lol?
No, at least not with the weight on the springs, the top edge of the 15" Popo Rallye is right at the qtr. lip. Those are 225/50R15's on there. I have .890" T-bars on the frt., haven't decided on a stabilizer bar yet.

Imo -Set the height for how and where you're going to drive the car. While low looks cool, many road conditions, curbs, driveways etc enjoy destroying the undercarriage.
In My case, it ain't for looks, and the outer edge of the rocker bottom is pretty much level with the axle center. That puts the pinch-weld ~11" off the ground w/ 24" dia. tires here, which is higher than all of My FWD Shelbys & cars with those components, don't have stuff hanging low mid-ship & it will be fine. Only a sharp transition to a steep grade poses a rear-end scrape danger, which can be found all over PA, so just say NO!!! LOL!

How would i go about lowering it the 1 inch. If i di decide to go +1 and i dont like it ?

-
Back