Need suggestions for tire sizes.

-

Mopardude

Reaction score
I need suggestions for tire sizes on a 74 Dart Sport. I picked up a set good looking wheels for a really good price the swap meet this morning. 15x7 with 4 1/4 bs for the front and 15x8 with a 2 3/4 bs for the rear. What sizes would be goo to fill the wheel wells good but no rubbing. I was thinking around a 195/60 for the front but not sure about the back as the back spacing has me a little worried.

195-60-15 is very short at only a touch over 24" tall. I would try a 215-60-15 up front with a 235/245/255-60-15 out back.

I run a 225/60 on the same rim dimensions on the front of my 71 dart and I like it. The rear I'm not sure but that backspacing may be a problem for you unless you have a lot of room. Put the rear on some jackstands and throw one of those 15 x 8's on there and start measuring to be sure.

195-60-15 is very short at only a touch over 24" tall. I would try a 215-60-15 up front with a 235/245/255-60-15 out back.

Well I have 215/60 now on 14 and they are just right. I was trying to offset for the 1 inch difference in wheel difference but I guess in reality they should only be 1/2 in. difference in clearance as the side wall height of the tire won't change, right?

I run a 225/60 on the same rim dimensions on the front of my 71 dart and I like it. The rear I'm not sure but that backspacing may be a problem for you unless you have a lot of room. Put the rear on some jackstands and throw one of those 15 x 8's on there and start measuring to be sure.

Yea I am going to have to make time to do that tomorrow. I was doing some eyeball measurements with a tape measure and it looks like they will come out almost even with the upper lip of the fender. It looks do able I think and not look to goofey but what would be a good number to leave between the fender to the top of the tire? Or how much suspension travel should I account for would be a better way of asking?

Yea I am going to have to make time to do that tomorrow. I was doing some eyeball measurements with a tape measure and it looks like they will come out almost even with the upper lip of the fender. It looks do able I think and not look to goofey but what would be a good number to leave between the fender to the top of the tire? Or how much suspension travel should I account for would be a better way of asking?

I put SS springs and new poly bushings on the rear of the dart and I have about 3/8" between the sidewall and fender lip. I have yet to see or hear it rub at all. I did have to roll the lip on the pass. side cause the rear wasnt perfectly centered under the car but the clearance is the same as the driveres side.

I hate to but in.I also could use some advice on tire sizes. What is the tallest,widest tire that will fit on a factory 14" Small bolt ralley? I want to stuff the most in the rear to get some traction. My duster has a healthy 340 4 speed and spins in first,second and starts to hook in third! Can someone let me know. I don't want to change from factory size rims.. Craig.

-
Back