Need Tech Help. Neon Auto Trans Question.

-

'64 Cuda

Reaction score
Hoping somebody that works on automatic transmissions can help me out a bit. My Nephew just bought a 97 Neon with an automatic transmission a couple of weeks ago. Less than a week after he bought it the timing belt broke. He needs to haul it about 90 miles back home to work on it & get it running again. He has a tow bar but we know you're not supposed to flat tow these cars with an automatic trans & I'm guessing it's because of possible damage with the pump not running.

We were discussing this on the phone & I had an idea. Now I need a tech to tell me if there's a chance it would work. Could he plumb an electric fuel pump in the line to the in-radiator transmission cooler & use it to circulate the trans fluid? Would this lube the trans internals enough to let him tow it home, maybe at a reduced speed or something? Any chance?

.................There is something like that , that the RVers use when towing cars behind their motorhomes/buses.....its been over 10 years since i've seen 1 though........kim............

Hoping somebody that works on automatic transmissions can help me out a bit. My Nephew just bought a 97 Neon with an automatic transmission a couple of weeks ago. Less than a week after he bought it the timing belt broke. He needs to haul it about 90 miles back home to work on it & get it running again. He has a tow bar but we know you're not supposed to flat tow these cars with an automatic trans & I'm guessing it's because of possible damage with the pump not running.

We were discussing this on the phone & I had an idea. Now I need a tech to tell me if there's a chance it would work. Could he plumb an electric fuel pump in the line to the in-radiator transmission cooler & use it to circulate the trans fluid? Would this lube the trans internals enough to let him tow it home, maybe at a reduced speed or something? Any chance?
why not rent a car dolly from u-haul?? you know the ones that puts the front wheels in the air and the rears stay on the ground.

I suggested that. I don't think he has a vehicle that they would say was quite big enough to tow the combined weight of the car & the dolly. They're a bit picky about that. Plus he doesn't have a lot in the way of funds. No credit card or anything like that. He's 25 & on a VERY limited budget. The Neon was a $250 car. U-Haul wants at least $100 to rent a dolly. I can't go help him. He's in another state & I've done enough of that kind of thing for him already. Last time I helped him out I sold him a car & he threw a rod through the side of the block. I had to go tow it 200 plus miles home because he never finished paying me for it. I'm afraid he's on his own this time.

-
Back