Need tire advice: drag radials

-

Trevor B

Reaction score
Summer is still a ways off but would you all please give me some ideas about some stickier tires for the dragstrip? It is clear that the BFG TAs are not going to do it. It's about 12 miles to the racetrack. I'd like something DOT that can be mounted at the house and then driven to the track.

I have a set of four 15x7 police rims designated for the job. I'm painting them black and even have some nice Plymouth Division dog dishes to go with them.

1973 Duster
8.25" rear end
will have 3.55 gears before summer

Any recommendations for drag radials that will fit these rims?
Front and back?

Thanks!

Nitto, good for 10 to 15k to boot. I would never run a car with any real power on the street again without DR's!

You are somewhat limited by rim size and wheel wells. -- Mickey Thompson makes one that may work for you. - Summit M/T # 3052R -- Just my 2 cents.

Thanks, folks!
Can't find a Nitto for a 15" rim.
The Summit (Mickey Thompsons) look like drag slicks, not DOT approved for street use.

What size tire will fit on the 7" wide rim?

Also... are there any considerations for the front wheels?

I think a 255 60 15 would be what you want but the 275 will fit with the right backspace . I thought they made more choices for the 15 inch .

Mickey thompson drag radials been using them for 7 seasons..i run 275/60 15's on 15x7 rims '70 duster everything in stock location,i would think they would work on a '73 too..

Thanks! This will be great if it will fit. Probably should get a tape measure in the wheel well.

Only [one little 1/2"] concern - the specs suggest a minimum of 7.5" wheel, as do the Mickey Thompson ETs.

Mickey thompson drag radials been using them for 7 seasons..i run 275/60 15's on 15x7 rims '70 duster everything in stock location,i would think they would work on a '73 too..
Stroked340 - How important do you think that 1/2" is past my 7"? Have you ever had any problems with them? Do you inflate them differently on the street vs. at the strip?

And... what do you guys do for the front wheels - do they get drag radials too?
(Sorry about all the newbie questions. I'm a total newbie!)

Cunnucky i believe it was that drove across country twice with the same nitto 555 with more tread to burn, so wear is decent

Yep I swear by them 5000km (3000 miles) 1 way twice plus many burnouts and they still have at least half their tread , last year I got caught in torrential rain twice on the trip , so bad I was driving by the taillights of the semi in front of me because thats all I could see through the water -55 -60 mph never even a slip in traction , the only DR that carries a wet rating , everyone I know that runs the Mickey Thompsons are lucky to get 5000 miles out of set . I run 275/60/15 on 15x8x4.5bs steelies.

I'd like something DOT that can be mounted at the house and then driven to the track.

I have a set of four 15x7 police rims designated for the job.
Front and back?

Thanks!

Why do you want radials?

I run sportsman pro's all year long on and off the track, in the rain etc. They work great. try the 26x10.50 on those rims you have with the 7.50x26 fronts.

Thanks! This will be great if it will fit. Probably should get a tape measure in the wheel well.

Only [one little 1/2"] concern - the specs suggest a minimum of 7.5" wheel, as do the Mickey Thompson ETs.

Stroked340 - How important do you think that 1/2" is past my 7"? Have you ever had any problems with them? Do you inflate them differently on the street vs. at the strip?

Never had a problem usually 30 pounds on the street 15-19 at the track,i rarely drive the car on the street with them because they are VERY sticky and pick up everything on the road,i have a seperate set of street tires for the street..

How important do you think that 1/2" is past my 7"? Have you ever had any problems with them? Do you inflate them differently on the street vs. at the strip?

And... what do you guys do for the front wheels - do they get drag radials too?
(Sorry about all the newbie questions. I'm a total newbie!)

You always want a matched set. Radial back = radial front, bias back = bias front

That 1/2" doesn't make a **** bit of difference.

Summer is still a ways off but would you all please give me some ideas about some stickier tires for the dragstrip? It is clear that the BFG TAs are not going to do it. It's about 12 miles to the racetrack. I'd like something DOT that can be mounted at the house and then driven to the track.

I have a set of four 15x7 police rims designated for the job. I'm painting them black and even have some nice Plymouth Division dog dishes to go with them.

1973 Duster
8.25" rear end
will have 3.55 gears before summer

Front and back?

Thanks!

12 miles from the track... just buy a true drag slick... Air it up drive to the track.. airdown.. race. Reinftate and drive home.. much better traction...

12 miles from the track... just buy a true drag slick... Air it up drive to the track.. airdown.. race. Reinftate and drive home.. much better traction...

My duster hooks and 60' better with drag radials then it did with slicks..

I run 255/60R15 Mickey thompson ET Streets. 15x8 wheel.

You will have better traction with the Mickeys, but better mileage with the Nittos.

I'm still running a 14 inch front rim with the 245/60/14 BFG on them . kept everything sbp so the spare still fits all round .

I run 235/60/15 Mickey Thompson et streets on my daily driver.
This is what you need, about $200 each, perfect on the 7" rim. And they are 26" diameter.
This is about the best you can get to go with the 3:55 gear.
I race mine at 24 - 26 psi. Find the highest pressure that still hooks and be good to go.

Mickeys all the way. I had Nitto 555Rs when they first came out, and they were useless. The M/T radials didn't launch quite as hard as my bias slicks, but the mph was better. Never understood the radial/radial and bias/bias matching thing. I've been running bias slicks with radial fronts for years on the track and street. The rear end will sway a little, but never enough to cause panic.

Mickeys all the way. I had Nitto 555Rs when they first came out, and they were useless. The M/T radials didn't launch quite as hard as my bias slicks, but the mph was better. Never understood the radial/radial and bias/bias matching thing. I've been running bias slicks with radial fronts for years on the track and street. The rear end will sway a little, but never enough to cause panic.

agree w/ gumper, never could pinpoint the diff.

-
Back