Need to add a/c to my Duster - how 2 do it CHEAPLY

-

challengergary

Reaction score
I NEED to get a/c put into my Duster - it hit 90 here today and with the black vinyl interior I almost burned my skin!
whiney.gif

It is originally an a/c car but all of the underhood stuff is gone except for the compressor bracket - thank God. I picked up a good compressor from a buddy for free but still need the rest of the stuff. Anybody have advice on how to do it as cheaply as possible?

FWIW - my car is a 225 slant six. Also, I don't know the condition of the evaporator butthe blower motor does work. The heat did not work during the winter but I survived. The trap doors do not open & close because the vacuum lines have been cut.

I guess part of my question is, should I pull the current stuff out from under the dash and get one of those new "universal" ones which do not rely on vacuum to work the heat or a/c? Or should I roll the dice and try and get the existing one to work?

Lastly, what should I budget to get this thing cooling again?

I would have the evap checked before hand, if it's leaking you will spend more to recharge the system after you discover it's bad and have to drain the system to replace it.
Extreme A/C in Fort Worth did my evap for $75 last year. He also has other parts you may need.
This guy has an underdash heat/ac unit for $299
http://www.acpartsguys.com/ac_systems

I would have the evap checked before hand, if it's leaking you will spend more to recharge the system after you discover it's bad and have to drain the system to replace it.
Extreme A/C in Fort Worth did my evap for $75 last year. He also has other parts you may need.
Thanks - I'll remember them when I get to that point. I was planning on pressure testing the system before I charge it anyways. Glad to know there is someone local that a FABO member recommends

Thanks for the link. I will be checking this guy out later.

heres a tip....i have two 73 a/c set-ups...two 72 set-ups...and two decent compressors etc.....the classis or vintage air units..although a little spendy...are the way to go..thats the direction i am leaning in...my 2 cents...

heres a tip....i have two 73 a/c set-ups...two 72 set-ups...and two decent compressors etc.....the classis or vintage air units..although a little spendy...are the way to go..thats the direction i am leaning in...my 2 cents...

Is that because the newer units cool better or because that way everything is new? I was actually looking at piecing together something using one of the "Hot Rod" a/c kits from either ebay or the website shown above. With my Sanden compressor and one of those underdash kits, I'lll have less than $500 into an entirely new system. Do you think that the classic or vintage systems are worth 2-1/2 times that cost?

I installed the Classic Air Perfect Fit series last year into a non a/c Dart, works perfect, blows 30 degrees out the vents in 90 degree weather,all doors are run by electric servo motors,Spal fan moves more air than a stock unit. I'm not sure you will get this level of cooling from an original evaporator running R134.

-
Back