Need to get to a starting point!

-

4mulaSvaliant

Reaction score
Hey guys and gals. Well I am mainly working out bugs on drive train and engine issues before I hit the body work real hard this winter. So here is what I have, and I am trying to get to a good solid Base point to start tuning.

OK here are the specs.
74' 360
Old Edelbrock 318-360 intake (dual Plane)
Retro fitted Electronic ign. (74') into my 69
Mild cam "RV" dont remember the specs anymore.
Edelbrock 1406 Carb. (650) I think
7mm wires nothing special
Autolite plugs (never had an issue) so no bias opinions! LOL
904 trans
8 3/4 Sure Grip 373s
Manual brakes so there is no extra vacuum issues.
Only vacuum is for the dist. advance.

So here is where I sit right now, I adjusted a few things a while back in an attempt to "tune" it, but as I figured my skills are lacking in that department.
Since then it DOES ping when I get on it, and the other very noticable issue is that it smells very rich. Problem with the thought of it being rich is, when I choke it slightly when it IS warmed up the RPMs will raise.
If I am thinking correctly then that would mean it is lean and welcomes that extra fuel in the mixture-thus causing it to raise the RPMs.

So as for tools for helping me through this, I have managed to gather all the correct tools just havent used them enough to be sure Im using them to there fullest potential.
I have a Tach in the car
A tach and dwell meter
Adjustable timing light (good quality craftsman)
Vacuum gauge

So I am asking the guys that are truly good at this to attempt to lay it out on where I should start and also how to properly use my timing light to its potential. I do not have the directions for it or Id just read em' lol

Any info is very appreciated. I know my motor has more to offer, because it has ran better before. Thx guys Im listening! :@:

I just realized this would have been better posted in the Engine Forum. Can it be moved to there? Thx A-body Gods! LOL

Scratch this guys I moved it. Just delete this if thats the best idea.

-
Back