need to go faster

-

pat d

Reaction score
hey guys, what can i do to make my 73duster go faster in the 1/8th. it runs 8.0@84mph 1.7 60ft this is what i have done so far,340 .30over 11.5 pop ups 528 purpleshaft 1.5roller rockers j heads mild port work 208/160 valves 1 5/8 headers 3'' pipes/mufflers 727trans shiftkit 9''or 10'' conv. 28''x9'' slicks timing @ wot approx.35 mopar dist. crome box holly 700dbl pumper mech. any thing i can do to tweak this thing .

how can i drop my 60ft time i'm footbraking it best time is a 1.7 and i left in 2nd by mistake. i know try 1st and what else.

Leaving in second makes a huge difference on 60' time. As said, work on the chassis/suspension. Also, try dropping the timing to 32. When you get consistent, start moving the timing up a degree or 2 at a time until it gets better. If it gets worse, go back. Each build is a little different, but mine runs best at 32.

what do i need to do on the suspension. i have superstock springs old chassis eng. shocks /6 torsion bars poss. 4.10gears pizza cutters up front 40psi. slicks 28x9 have 15psi i launch @ 2500rpm.

How are you hooking off the line? If you are hooking hard with no spin, you're probably good for now. If you spin:
If you don't have subframe connectors, get them (should have even if you don't spin).
Drag shocks up front will help.
drag shocks or Rancho RS9000 adjustables in the back.
Make sure the angle of the rear spring hangers is correct (eyelet of spring should be behind the top bolt on the hangar about an inch or 2).

how can i drop my 60ft time i'm footbraking it best time is a 1.7 and i left in 2nd by mistake. i know try 1st and what else.

What did you only make 1 pass, why would you not try 1st. gear? I'm sure you wouldn't have made the same mistake twice right, your 60fts. will gratly improve leaving in 1st. go back & try leaving 1st. gear, If you did just make 1 pass you can't judge it by that, the car will faster as you play with the tune & make several runs.

The MPH looks a little weak for the 60 ft.. I would say the chassis is working pretty well, 1.7-1.8 should get you a 7.70 or so with a decent motor..

it rained before i could make a second run.now i have to wait till dec 2nd to run nascar coming to town. i want to see if i could make some changes before that. i do have subframe connectors and old drag shocks the time before i pulled a 1.9 in 1st am i spinning or what.

How certain are you of your engine specs? For instance, regardless of what piston you installed, what is the actual compression ratio? The cam is too small if you're truly at 11.5:1, which explains the low end but lackluster top. The tires are tall and cut down the 4.10s. If you can, either run smaller slicks or swap ina set of 4.56s. You also need to know more about the convertor. Making a car fast has a lot to do with knowing every little detail, and tweaking them all until it won't go faster.

thanks moper the pistons are dome tops with valve cutouts [mopar] i was told that by the guy i bought them from a long time ago. all these parts are out of the mopar performance engine book.so you think the cam is on the small side

Run it the next time you can.Get the 60 ft time in first,easiest way to do it is organizing.Do one pass at a time.Log it in a book.Try one change at a time,log it.That way,you have a reference of what works,and doesn't.A 1.7 60 ft in 2nd seems pretty good to me.

-
Back