Need to improve my knowledge...

-

MoparFan

Reaction score
Hi,
ok I am very close to buy a 360 for about 350$. The engine is stock and running, with all gaskets replaced.
The only thing is that the guy told me that one of the lifter was unloading, and that at startup the engine "clack" for a couple of minutes then it is ok.

So, I would appreciate if someone could explain me, what is a lifter that is unloading? :scratch:
How bad is that kind of problem?
Is it a lot of $$$ to fix normally?

Thanks again

AKA bleeding down. The liffter is loseing the oil inside it's body faster than the rest. If you trust this guy, and get the engine, then just replace the lifters.

Ditto: If the guy is being honest, replace the lifters. A few hours labor and a couple of bucks and your done.

Good luck with the motor swap!
exct0005.gif

Thanks a lot for the info.

But both of you talk about trusting the guy. Well I found that motor in an ad on the net, and I don't know that guy at all.
All that know, is that it is a 110000 miles engine, 2bbl, that was going in is project but he found one with less mileage that he is gonna use.

Can the lifter problem be a sign of major problem coming on ... or can it really be just a bad lifter?

Would that be ok: Lifter or
even better (if it can suits my application, stock 904 trans, gear to be 3.23 or 3.55 in a 8-1/4" (for the moment 2.46!!!)) cam & lifter

Thanks again

Well.... with 110,000 miles on it I'd doubt the cam is anywhere NEAR being in servicable condition! Since the motor is out of the car, installing a cam is rather easy. If you've never done this before and don't know anyone who can help, go befriend an experienced mechanic and make a deal. See if he'd be willing to come over and do the install. But remember, DON'T buy more cam than you need.Various manufacturers make "street or Musclecar" grinds that drop in and don't require more than a 4 bbl. and dual exhaust to make respectable power.

Short version: Cam & lifters should be the MINUMIN that should be done. I'd try and bolt up a starter motor and spin it for a compression check before doing anything though....BEFORE you pay for it.
Good luck!
exct0005.gif

FASTBACK340 said:
Well.... with 110,000 miles on it I'd doubt the cam is anywhere NEAR being in servicable condition! Since the motor is out of the car, installing a cam is rather easy. If you've never done this before and don't know anyone who can help, go befriend an experienced mechanic and make a deal. See if he'd be willing to come over and do the install. But remember, DON'T buy more cam than you need.Various manufacturers make "street or Musclecar" grinds that drop in and don't require more than a 4 bbl. and dual exhaust to make respectable power.

Short version: Cam & lifters should be the MINUMIN that should be done. I'd try and bolt up a starter motor and spin it for a compression check before doing anything though....BEFORE you pay for it.
Good luck!
exct0005.gif

I agree, i, personally wouldnt put that motor in my car without completely tearing it down and going over it..I have a 4,000 mile MP 360 that is getting re-ringed/bearing/hone/cam bearings/hot tanking before it goes into my car. just my 2cents

MoparFan said:
Thanks a lot for the info.

But both of you talk about trusting the guy. Well I found that motor in an ad on the net, and I don't know that guy at all.
All that know, is that it is a 110000 miles engine, 2bbl, that was going in is project but he found one with less mileage that he is gonna use.

Can the lifter problem be a sign of major problem coming on ... or can it really be just a bad lifter?

Thanks again

With 3.23's or 3.55's I would use this cam over the MoPar Purple cam. Also take note that the link is to the complete kit, not just cam and lifters. This is a better deal in the long run, rather than purchase the parts seperatly later.
http://store.summitracing.com/partd...861490+4294908128+4294840085+115&autoview=sku
Theres a little less duration @ .050, but certainly enuff to get the motor to get up and go even though it currently is a bit low on the comp. ratio. A head milling will take care of that problem.

Also, since you don't know the engine, I would get it, still a good price, and tear it dwon and have a look at it. Replace whats worn with a gasket set, I think I paid $60 from MoPar, all Fel-Pro gaskets and replace bearings as needed.
If it pass a compresion test well, your good to go. (That should be done first by the way.)

Again thanks for all the infos.

If a motor is out of the car and let say on a engine stand (the kind you buy for 80$, that you can rotate the engine), can the engine be test for compression. I also tought that the engine should be warm!

As far as for the cam kit, well the complete kit might a bit expensive rigth now ... but anyway I guess I will have to wait until I found a rear with the good gears, or have the rear end of my car redone but that is $$$$. From what I see a cam with the wrong gears make things worst.

Also, is there a way that I could check at home if the engine need be bored the usual 0.030 ... or I can assume that a 110 000 miles the engine will need it for sure.

-
Back