Need to Replace Pinion Seal Again

-

Reddartowner

UCF Alumni....Go Knights!
Reaction score
Looks like my last pinion seal replacement didn't stop the leak, so I'm looking at doing it again. Only this time I'd like to use a shaft saver also which will hopefully stop the leakage. Does anyone know the part number for a shaft saver bushing for a pinion shaft on a 741 center section ?

Thanks,

Mark.

A good local parts house should be able to help you. Stay away from those
chain places. Find a store that you can trust. If they start saying that it isn't
in the computer. Walk to a store that knows the old cars. I don't know the
right numbers for it. But a good counter man (with experence) should be able
to find it for you.
Edit. It's a sleeve that go's on the yoke.

Is the ground hub worn ? sounds like your guessing at what the issue may be, maybe they sold you a bad seal, or it got wrecked installing it...

This is the second seal installed since the rear was rebuilt last August. A shop that I trust did the first seal when they set up the gears, and it leaked. I did the second seal, using RTV around the outer flange, so I know that the leakage is coming from the seal to shaft mating area. With that assumption, I was looking for a shaft saver to build up a couple thousandths to increase the pressure on the next seal and hopefully stop the leakage.

Then there is something else, if there is no wear on the ground hub of the end yoke then something else is the issue.
It's definitely coming from between the seal and yoke ?

When you put the yoke back on put some grease on the splines, sometimes they can seep there.

Also when you install a new seal do you put a little grease on the back side where the spring is? If not try that, sometimes that spring can pop off when tapping the seal into place.

On the last seal I installed I put grease on the back of the seal to hold the spring, RTV around the outside of the seal case, and RTV on the splines....... that's why I need to check to see where its leaking.

On the last seal I installed I put grease on the back of the seal to hold the spring, RTV around the outside of the seal case, and RTV on the splines....... that's why I need to check to see where its leaking.

Well, you might have a groove worn on the yoke. Is the rear vented?

It should have one of these where the brake block is bolted on.

Attachments

• vent.jpg
    2.5 KB · Views: 180
Yes, the rear is vented. While I'm at it, what is the correct name for the shaft saver bushing that I've been talking about? And who makes these? I can't seem to find it at NAPA doing a search.

Well, a close inspection revealed the leak to be coming from the seal to case joint, so we cleaned up the joint and pumped a little RTV in there. We'll keep an eye on it over the next several days.......... Better a static leak than a dynamic seal leak....

-
Back