Need to vent - my Laptop died and have to buy a new one asap

-

challengergary

Reaction score
Okay, so I go to my shop yesterday to cut a couple of sets of stripes for some customers and my laptop won't boot up. I try for about an hour going through all of the boot options and nuthin'. Now I am not only getting frustrated but depressed because I've got a bad feeling. So, I go to Best Buy to see what the Geek Squad can do. He trys several things and finally says, "It's dead. You can try and reload Windows but you'll probably loose everything and I can't guarantee that'll do the trick. It really looks like your hard drive is on the way out. Cheapest way out is buy an new computer and transfer your data." Now what do I do? I need a computer to make the stripe kits but dagumit I just don't have the spare cash right now. We just spent a bunch of un-planned money on vet bills (dogs & cats & kids ended up with ring worm and so far it's cost me over $600), had to buy a new tv because our old one died and nobody could get the parts for it anymore (it was a regular tube TV). Believe me, having 3 kids and no tv for 2-1/2 weeks sucked, and NOW THIS!!!!! WTF!

swear.gif
stomp.gif
swear.gif
stomp.gif
pullinghair.gif
swear.gif
stomp.gif
pullinghair.gif
pullinghair.gif
banghead.gif
pullinghair.gif
stomp.gif

Sorry - rant over. I guess I need to step back, take a deep breath and go shopping for a new computer. Any recommendations one where to get an inexpensive one? We've already had to return a few of our kids Christmas gifts due to the "unbudgeted" expenses and the CLF disease (that's Chronic Lack of Funds) we seem to be suffering from since moving to TX . I need a new computer fast, I have customers that wanted to get their stripes before Christmas because they are going to be gifts...

On a bright note - at least I recently backed up all of my stripe kit data onto an external hard drive. I think I may have only "lost" one or two designs that I have done since then.

Maybe Memikes brother Ken can fix it?

I had the biometric security (thumb print can) go bad on my computer and I couldn't log on. Dell said I was screwed. So I took it to the PC Surgeon (by my house) fixed it for $200!

take it to a independaent pc service. The kids at Best Buy are taught to sell you a new computer. The next guy will have the same problem but still under warrenty so he would get the hard drive replaced.

Good point RedFish - I guess I'll see if the IT guy at my day job can do anything before I spend any money that I really don't have...

Try newegg.com. Also, try to wait until Jan 2 - I think all electronics go on sale then. I'm waiting to get a new samsung 23" HD monitor.

I agree with RedFish. Take it to someone that has the job of fixing computers, not selling you a new one. Good luck.

Check out HSN, or QVC, they have some good laptops and you can make payments on it. I have bought my last few laptops like this.

If no luck send it over!
My address is 200 CR 756
Jonesboro, Arkansas 72401.

I will get right on it. No Charge!

Kutacando!

If no luck send it over!
My address is 200 CR 756
Jonesboro, Arkansas 72401.

I will get right on it. No Charge!

Kutacando!
Kutacando - I may just take you up on that offer. I'll give my IT guy at work a shot tomorrow. If he can't do it, I'll send it on up to you - Thanks!!

Gary,
Get it to me when you can, the car it is for is being worked on now, I have my Demon to drive if the weather ever permits. Don't loose any sleep over it.
Jim

Try Tiger Direct they are pretty cheap and offer bare bones set ups ,If you have to buy that is , second hand thrift stores get some good ones too when people buy new and can't sell the old one

My laptop was obsolete and basically on it`s last leg so I picked up a new Toshiba Satellite with Windows 7, dual core processor, and 15.6" screen for $429.00 through Amazon. I`m real pleased with the computer. It`s amazing how much faster this computer is than the old one. This one also has many built-in features that I had to add to my old Dell computer like a card reader and wireless interface. Computer technology is moving so fast that a $400.00 computer today is probably equivalent to a $1000.00 computer of 5 years ago. You should be able to find something decent for just 400-500 dollars.

-
Back