Need top end advice

-

67_Slimer

Real Hot Rods don't shift themselves.
Reaction score
OK , I'm sure this topic has been done to death but I really need a direction to go in. I'm building a 408 stroker from a .030 over 360. looking at 11:5 - 1 compression , pretty good size hydraulic roller cam. I'm looking for 500-550 hp if possible, It's going in a 3200 lbs 67 dart with a 4 speed and a dana that has 4.56s but soon will change that to 3.73 or around there seeing this motor won't spin as high as my current 340. The car is street driven , not daily but car shows , cruising around etc. occasionally drag strip but not often.

The top end is what I'm confused about. I planned on using my current heads , intake and Carb that's on my 340. Edelbrock performer aluminum heads that I would plan on having ported big time to create as much flow as possible , the Victor intake which i plan on having ported as well and my 750 Brawler carb. I was contemplating going with the W2 economy heads and intake for my top end. Can I get some feedback on how much of a power difference it would make , if its worth the extra money , parts availability headers etc. Again , I plan on paying for porting on my heads and intake but before I do that I want to see my options.

Thanks in advance.

I can't help you with this decision, at all. sand
I don't want to be a kill-joy .............................
but;
in a factory-tub 67Dart with 255s being as big as fits, even 350hp is a tire-fryer; even in a big-tub, heavy, FB Barracuda like mine, with 295s, 350 is lots.
I mean if you just want to spend money, I got nothing against that; but on the street, the stroker is way overkill......
I mean you could probably put small-port factory-type heads on it, and still smoke the tires to 80 mph....................................... or more, lol.
Fun? heck-yeah; but
dangerous as hunting bear, naked, with nothing but a pocket-knife.

but;
in a factory-tub 67Dart with 255s being as big as fits, even 350hp is a tire-fryer; even in a big-tub, heavy, FB Barracuda like mine, with 295s, 350 is lots.
I mean if you just want to spend money, I got nothing against that; but on the street, the stroker is way overkill......
I mean you could probably put small-port factory-type heads on it, and still smoke the tires to 80 mph....................................... or more, lol.
Fun? heck-yeah; but
I already have a 340 in there now that ran high 11's low 12's , so I guess I don't want to build to go slower? I would build another 340 but unfortunately the community wants to hoard them then charge top dollar for them so I'm going the 360 stroker route.

Unless you just want to have the W2's to say you have them, I'd re-use the Edelbrock heads and have them worked over and maybe taken out to a 2.05 or 2.08 valve. The W2 have more potential but they need to be ported as well to take advantage of it. The bespoke rockers/intake/header flange all add cost as well and some versions of that W2 casting have a reputation of cracking. If a couple grand won't break the bank then go with the W2 but I think you already have the components that will get you where you want to go with a little bit of upgrading in the right hands.

Unless you just want to have the W2's to say you have them, I'd re-use the Edelbrock heads and have them worked over and maybe taken out to a 2.05 or 2.08 valve. The W2 have more potential but they need to be ported as well to take advantage of it. The bespoke rockers/intake/header flange all add cost as well and some versions of that W2 casting have a reputation of cracking. If a couple grand won't break the bank then go with the W2 but I think you already have the components that will get you where you want to go with a little bit of upgrading in the right hands.
Thanks for the information. VERY useful.

For 550 hp your gonna want heads capable of around 290-310 cfms.

I already have a 340 in there now that ran high 11's low 12's , so I guess I don't want to build to go slower? I would build another 340 but unfortunately the community wants to hoard them then charge top dollar for them so I'm going the 360 stroker route.
I'm just curious.. if you already have a 340 why build a 360 stroker? the 340 i think will do 416" and you already have the block?

but;
in a factory-tub 67Dart with 255s being as big as fits, even 350hp is a tire-fryer;
I love to state this every time AJ writes this above because it assumes you have no foot control and it MUST mash the gas pedal to the floor. I can get a stock 225-/6 to do burn out 60’ long. This is a ridiculous statement IMO, though 100% true if you “Just mash the gas pedal to the floor and let’er rip.”

even in a big-tub, heavy, FB Barracuda like mine, with 295s, 350 is lots.
Disagree!
Fun? heck-yeah; but

OK! That’s just weird AJ. Also IMO, simply not true.

OK , I'm sure this topic has been done to death but I really need a direction to go in. I'm building a 408 stroker from a .030 over 360. looking at 11:5 - 1 compression , pretty good size hydraulic roller cam. I'm looking for 500-550 hp if possible, It's going in a 3200 lbs 67 dart with a 4 speed and a dana that has 4.56s but soon will change that to 3.73 or around there seeing this motor won't spin as high as my current 340. The car is street driven , not daily but car shows , cruising around etc. occasionally drag strip but not often.

The top end is what I'm confused about. I planned on using my current heads , intake and Carb that's on my 340. Edelbrock performer aluminum heads that I would plan on having ported big time to create as much flow as possible , the Victor intake which i plan on having ported as well and my 750 Brawler carb. I was contemplating going with the W2 economy heads and intake for my top end. Can I get some feedback on how much of a power difference it would make , if its worth the extra money , parts availability headers etc. Again , I plan on paying for porting on my heads and intake but before I do that I want to see my options.

Thanks in advance.

Save the W2 for a race application. The Edelbrock well ported will make the power. It will not even require a big cam. IMO, you’re on the right track. I’d use less compression (11-1 or s still more than enough.) and have the heads and Victor ported. A 1-3/4 header into a 2-1/2 exhaust with a flow through muffler like an Aero Chamber, Maxflo etc…. Will do it well.

A 750 will work. An 800 or better will be fine as well, a little more power on the pedal feel and a minor gain up to. Probably not worth it for a street cruiser doing shows and other like fun stuff.

IMO, the factory Hyd lifter is OK. A bit heavy. IMO, I’d move to a solid roller. Set the valve lash once a year until you’re happy with it not needing adjusting that often. It should just need a quick check every spring and that’s it. Lighter lifter, more RPM, quicker rev’s, win win!

This is a FWIW, the W2 works best when you use a large cam that hangs the valves open for a long time and then a bunch of rpm’s.
The difference between the “Econo” head and the race head is just and only how the rockers attach to the head, with stands or so hour stands. Both perform the same.

Sounds like the OP already has a decent 340 in it now and obviously he feels that it's not enough so his choices seems to be logical next step for him.

Sounds like the OP already has a decent 340 in it now and obviously he feels that it's not enough so his choices seems to be logical next step for him.
Not really though.. for the same money the 340 would be a 416" and he already has the block...

Last edited:
I'm just curious.. if you already have a 340 why build a 360 stroker? the 340 i think will do 416" and you already have the block?
Because I want to build something while I'm still driving my car. I'm a huge 340 fan but unfortunately , like anything else , they are so over priced that I just figured I'd build a 360 stroker that makes an impact. then when I swap it , I'll go to town and freshen up my 340.

Because I want to build something while I'm still driving my car. I'm a huge 340 fan but unfortunately , like anything else , they are so over priced that I just figured I'd build a 360 stroker that makes an impact. then when I swap it , I'll go to town and freshen up my 340.
Ahh ok then that makes sense :)

Ahh ok then that makes sense :)
Ran 12.20s with the 340 that's in there and that was with J heads and a 6 pack. Since then I put the Eddys , a victor and a 750 Brawler , might be touching 11's now , but I want MORE POWER!!

Ran 12.20s with the 340 that's in there and that was with J heads and a 6 pack. Since then I put the Eddys , a victor and a 750 Brawler , might be touching 11's now , but I want MORE POWER!!
torqstorm? :) should be a killer setup when done... i was going to do a 408 for mine eventually but have decided to stay with 360 inches when i finally do it.. i don't need more than that

torqstorm? :) should be a killer setup when done... i was going to do a 408 for mine eventually but have decided to stay with 360 inches when i finally do it.. i don't need more than that
I'd rather rev but Ill make it work.

Save the W2 for a race application. The Edelbrock well ported will make the power. It will not even require a big cam. IMO, you’re on the right track. I’d use less compression (11-1 or s still more than enough.) and have the heads and Victor ported. A 1-3/4 header into a 2-1/2 exhaust with a flow through muffler like an Aero Chamber, Maxflo etc…. Will do it well.

A 750 will work. An 800 or better will be fine as well, a little more power on the pedal feel and a minor gain up to. Probably not worth it for a street cruiser doing shows and other like fun stuff.

IMO, the factory Hyd lifter is OK. A bit heavy. IMO, I’d move to a solid roller. Set the valve lash once a year until you’re happy with it not needing adjusting that often. It should just need a quick check every spring and that’s it. Lighter lifter, more RPM, quicker rev’s, win win!

This is a FWIW, the W2 works best when you use a large cam that hangs the valves open for a long time and then a bunch of rpm’s.
The difference between the “Econo” head and the race head is just and only how the rockers attach to the head, with stands or so hour stands. Both perform the same.
Thank you for your info. So if I go solid roller , it will make that much more of a difference? What is a good SBM cam company you recommend?

not sure yet
Then thinking about the heads isn’t really helping.
Ported RPMs (as Pittsburg said) will get you there - provided the cam is able to take advantage of the port.
W2s/W5s/Indys also ported, will work too.
W2 stuff is all unique so you have to buy head assemblies, rockers, intake, and headers to fit them, and get the porting done. Iron costs more btw.

I’d ditch the idea of hydraulic roller. either run a flat tappet solid or solid roller (done properly). Port the top end you have, and you’ll be fine. But you will need a cam choice to make it all work. Too small won’t work regardless of the porting or head flow.

-
Back