needin advise

-

ef8340

Reaction score
on my 74 dodge d100 truck it has the 727 trans and it doesnt stay in park i think the farmer broke it when he towed it out of the field how does one change this parking paw drop the pan and valve body ? any speacial quirks i need to know i havent tried other gears im afraid it might mess the trans up
thanks in advance
Terry

there is no need to drop the pan to change the paw in a 727, although if you want to change the filter you will need to. to change the paw, pull the drive shaft unbolt the trans mount and undo the bolts that hold the rear of the case.then there is a small acess plate on the side of the rear of the transmission that has two philips machine screws, take that off there is a snap ring, release the pressure from it and pull it off. the paw is inside of there

Attachments

• case-torqueflite-transmissi.jpg
    23.7 KB · Views: 84
I doubt it's broke. It is possible I guess. Check the linkage and make sure it is shifting all the way into park.

there is no need to drop the pan to change the paw in a 727, although if you want to change the filter you will need to. to change the paw, pull the drive shaft unbolt the trans mount and undo the bolts that hold the rear of the case.then there is a small acess plate on the side of the rear of the transmission that has two philips machine screws, take that off there is a snap ring, release the pressure from it and pull it off. the paw is inside of there

You can't change the park rod from the back. Which if something is broke I would suspect the rod and not the round sprocket the rod engages in.

okay im not really understanding the bolts that hold the rear of the case? tailshaft? and i cant get to the paw from inside the pan i never changed one before and i havent checked the linkage yet but kinda want to be fully prepared incase plus i want to flush the trans and change the filter
thanks

I highly doubt it's broken too. I'd check linkage first. Most likely it's just the linkage out of adjustment.

as far as not understanding the bolts that hold on the extension housing. What's not to understand? It's shown in the picture 66plyvaliant posted. Their the 6 bolts that hold the extension housing onto the main case.

i was lost on the 'rear case' i never heard it called that before lol its always been refured to as a tail shaft

i was lost on the 'rear case' i never heard it called that before lol its always been refured to as a tail shaft

LOL... Yeah it's just different terminology. The actual proper name for it is the extension housing if I'm not mistaken, but like many things it can get called something else.

-
Back