Needing new tires

-
Ok that is good to know. I picked up the 8.25 yesterday. Has 2.76 gears and open carrier. So now to find a sure grip and a set of gears. I don't want to modify the body or make the ride like crap. I will probably do 235 or 245 then. What profile would you think would be good? I will probably put in a set of new springs and some gas shocks while I'm in there. Got air shocks in now haha. Thanks for the help.

Unfortunately I think you'll be stuck with 245/60/14's. There's really not much else for selection in 14's in the wider sizes, that's the only profile option I could find. That's a 25.6" tall tire. The 235 only seems to come in a 60 as well, but that's a short tire at only 25.1".

With a Dart/Scamp the widest tire you're going to fit easily is a 245. If that's with an 8.25 they're narrower than 8 3/4's, so, you'd be looking at a 15x7 with about 4.25" of backspace to make that work. Some folks have made 255's fit, but that usually requires quarter lip modifications or a very stiff rear suspension to keep from rubbing during cornering or with weight in the back of the car.[/QUOTE]
I run a 255/60-15 on 15x7's with a 4.25 backspace but the previous owner was nice enough to add a extra leaf. Otherwise I'm sure they would rub on the outside without fender lip trimming. tmm
007.jpg

Everything has specifications. Everything has tolerances to those specifications. Just because tolerances are not listed, does not mean they do not exist.

I am like Roy. I have run tires "supposedly" too wide or too narrow for a given wheel with zero problems. It's all in WHAT you are doing with them.

So some of yall keep bein hard asses. Those of us who've actually lived long enough for some real experience will keep on doing it.

Thank you drive through.

Doing something wrong for a long time doesn't make it right, no matter how long you've been doing it wrong.

Admitting you can't tell the difference in performance is just an admission that you've either never been anywhere near the limits of those tires or that you don't know what a good set of tires is actually capable of. It doesn't prove there isn't a difference.

All it takes is a couple laps at an autox or road course. Take a couple laps with tires that are on too narrow a rim, then swap them out for tires that are properly sized and take a couple laps. I've done it, the difference is obvious. Just like how adding or dropping a few psi in your tires can dramatically change your traction, lap times, or ET's at the strip. There's a range of tolerances for that too, doesn't mean you can't do it wrong. You can learn more in those few laps about how those tires work and how your car handles than you'd ever learn driving on the street in normal conditions.

No, you won't notice it driving back and forth to the Dairy Queen or the cruising to the local show in the slow lane on the weekend when the weather is nice. You could drive for decades or tens of thousands of miles on the street and never notice. But when the crap hits the fan and you need that extra performance to avoid an accident, it won't be there. And you won't even know any better, because you've never done it any other way.

Sorry I didn't clarify. I am putting 15s on the back once the rear end is done. I ran these tires because that's what was on the car when I got it and they did fine. I ran 15.20s with stock heads, exhaust manifolds, and 2.76 gears. Perhaps I could have gotten a little better ET if I had gotten a shorter tire to get a better ratio. Either way, the tires are coming off. I'll run a narrower 14 inch tire on the front and a wider 15 inch on the back.

-
Back