Needs some help!

-
Reaction score
Hey everyone, I am new to the site and the restoration game. I just bought a 69 2dr Valiant/ 8cyl, auto, no A/C and now came across a parts car 67 4dr/ 6cyl, manual/ with A/C. Can I get some help on whats interchangeable? Thanks for the help!

Can I use door panels, doors,Grill looks different, dash, Interior, etc? Not worried about motor. I am really new to the mechanics so sorry If this seems simple. Thanks for the help

First things first...Welcome to FABO and congrats on the Valiant!! All of the mechanical elements are the same, brakes, rearend, trans and such. The grille and trim will be different from year to year, but would still fit as a complete swap. The door panels will probably be different as the 4 door skins will be shorter because 2 and 4 door doors are different. The windshields will probably also be different and the rear window also, as the 4 door cars windshield are usually set steeper than the sedans. Obviously the front seat of the 4 door will not have the tilt back that is needed to get in the back seat of the 2 door. The dash will probably be different cosmetically, but is still a direct swap between years.

My advise???... Get the 4 door also, as it will be a wealth of items, big and small, which will make your restoration much smoother. Also, it will serve as a visual textbook of where and how things go together as you dis-assemble the 2 door for restoration. You just never know what you're gonna need, and it will be much nicer to just go out to the 4 door and have the parts rather than searching here, there and probably everywhere looking for needed items. Welcome again, and welcome to the FABO ranks!!! Geof

Thanks for the help, I appreciate it very much!! I can't believe the demand and how hard it is to find good parts. you're right, I have been looking everywhere already. I would really like to put the A/C and switch from Auto to Manual, does this require serious modification? is 1500.00 hundred a good price if it has decent interior, bad rod in the motor but an extra "good" slant 6, good bumpers, and decent body with no rust? From the proces I am seeing, it seems like it is?

Thanks again

The slant 6 and V8 drive trains are not interchangeable. The A/C for the most part is a direct bolt on except that the V8 slant 6 uses a different mounting bracket for the compressor-should be able to find one with out much problems. If you can afford it buy both cars as a lot will swap. You can even glue parts of the 4 door weather strips in to worn out areas of the 2 door weather strips. Want a hood with a scoop? Put one one one hood and keep the other as a spare. better brakes will swap over.

You would need a small block bellhousing and related hardware to put the manual in your 2 door. You can use the trans, and of course the pedals, but the slant bellhousing and smaller clutch is a no go. Likewise with the A/C stuff, it's all the same, but the mounting hardware will all be different between a 6 and an 8 cyl.

If the $1500.00 is just for the 4 door parts car, IMO thats too much. I routinely pay $500.00 or less for parts cars, especially 4 door cars that have limited interchangeability. If it was a 2 door parts car with some decent sellable items that you didn't need, maybe I'd go a little more knowing that you could make up some of the cost with the extra parts, but a 4 door will not yeild as many sellable parts. Again, JMO, but I do this all the time and thats the way it works for me!!! Good luck with the cars, they should be fun either way!!! Geof

Thanks for all the fantastic advice, I have a feeling this will be a life saving site for a newbee! Thanks for the opinion on the cost geof, my belief is if I am not going to listen to the advice, don't ask! I passed on the car, but I am sure there will be more.

Slant/6 I might be interested in one with a scoop, havent thought about that yet. I am just starting on the restoration but do you have a picture and how much? What's it off?

Thanks again

-
Back