Negative battery terminal sparking on contact

-
Reaction score
Hello fabo! I just recently installed a Dakota mini starter on my 65 barracuda 273. I've had the negative battery terminal disconnected for a month while the car sat. After I installed the new starter I go to connect the battery terminal and to my surprise a very large spark results from the contact. Not only that, but I hear the starter try to jump from the brief connection. There was no key in the ignition.

Does anyone know what may have caused this? The positive from the battery shorting out somewhere? Maybe the starter relay is stuck? Any input is appreciated, thanks everyone.

First guess is either the two wires at the starter are jumpered together, or there is something wrong internally with the starter, or you somehow positioned the main batt cable on the starter so that it is shorting

A very long time ago I learned that "if you have a problem" after you have "done something" the problem is very likely related to "whatever you just did"

First guess is either the two wires at the starter are jumpered together, or there is something wrong internally with the starter, or you somehow positioned the main batt cable on the starter so that it is shorting

A very long time ago I learned that "if you have a problem" after you have "done something" the problem is very likely related to "whatever you just did"

Yeah thats probably some good advice haha. The mini starters have the terminals facing inwards towards the engine block so it was difficult to tell their positioning. I'll be taking another look, thanks

Yeah thats probably some good advice haha. The mini starters have the terminals facing inwards towards the engine block so it was difficult to tell their positioning. I'll be taking another look, thanks

There's a member here that sells a mini starter terminal adapter that fits on and repositions the terminals so they are much easier to access. I don't remember the screen name. Maybe do a search.

Or you have an no issue and items that have been off for a bit like stereo amp or radio are “on” when you reconnect. That initial hit to the capacitors will cause a spark. Your description is tough to understand because a negitive spark is not unusual but not like arc welding. If you have a welding type spark then you have issues.
My Dakota mini starter does not hit anywhere on my 273 in a 66 cuda.

It was common to overtighten the terminals on the chevy starter terminal, would crack the bakelite and make contact with battery power. Wonder if this is the issue? I try not to get carried away with tightening the small nut holding the start wire in place.

Or you have an no issue and items that have been off for a bit like stereo amp or radio are “on” when you reconnect. That initial hit to the capacitors will cause a spark. Your description is tough to understand because a negitive spark is not unusual but not like arc welding. If you have a welding type spark then you have issues.
My Dakota mini starter does not hit anywhere on my 273 in a 66 cuda.

It was a large enough spark that it left a noticeable gash in the battery terminal. Not sure if that's considered a welding type spark.

It was a large enough spark that it left a noticeable gash in the battery terminal. Not sure if that's considered a welding type spark.

You have something dead shorted somewhere.....OR you have the starter electrically engaged. Either would provide a substantial spark....but didn't you say the starter engaged when you connected the battery? That tells me you have the starter engaged "somehow" whether through a starter defect, or by operator error. lol Happens to the best of us.

Yes, I sell these via Ebay. BUT, if you PM me here or on the FBBO/FCBO sites, I can sell them direct for less.
jus sayin....

Cool. I want one. Caint afford it till the week of the 3rd though......I'll forget. If you might can remind me that would be great.

Yea! If it gouged the battery terminal that’s a dead short or something major is “on.”
Now is when the fun begins! Keep us posted.

-
Back