netural safty switch

-

Snake

Mopar Nut
Reaction score
I have no reverse lights,bulbs are new,wires is good.So when I pull the switch out of my 727 will oil come out.What is a switch now a days worth.PS to dam cold today,no :burnout: yet.

Only if you work on it like this

car%20on%20side.jpg

jack it up on the driver side...some tranny fluid will come out but that will limit it

Hey Snake,......I wonder if the wiring from an originally steering column shift car converted into a floor console shift car (using the same wiring as column shift) would have something to do with it?????

he wouldnt have a pigtail on the floor hump then.If thats the case he would have to have the relay wire grounded I believe. I have that problem and am throwing a toggle switch on the dash for reverse lights. Cant let anyone else drive the car though cause it will crank in gear.

he wouldnt have a pigtail on the floor hump then.If thats the case he would have to have the relay wire grounded I believe. I have that problem and am throwing a toggle switch on the dash for reverse lights. Cant let anyone else drive the car though cause it will crank in gear.

.........Put a relay in 4 that too...............kim........

Hey Snake,......I wonder if the wiring from an originally steering column shift car converted into a floor console shift car (using the same wiring as column shift) would have something to do with it?????

i dont think column shift has any thing to do with it could be wrong tho.All action is in the shift leaver in the tranny.

On my car theres a back up lamp switch plug at the floor. My cars a 66 though.It will be a violet with a tracer in and a violet out of the switch on the bottom of the collum on collum shift auto cars.

.........Put a relay in 4 that too...............kim........

Why a relay for two reverse bulbs that are run off the lighting circuit? All im changing is how they get switched. School me, electrical is not my forte.

well to see if it is your switch put a metal paperclip between the outter 2 terminals of the boot on the Neutral safty switch, throw in R, and if the lights come on it's that, if not it's wiring. I got a new NSS from advanced auto for $12. Only problem is that the plunger isn't long enough for when I throw it in R to make the connection. I got one from Napa but the ends that go into the plug are too long and big. I suppose machining them will work

No plug at floor.yes I am a dummy at electrical.
Hi Don, I just put a new switch in my truck (727) it was only around $20 and we had one in stock at work. They are simple to change just jack it up on the drivers side like said above & you shouldn't lose too much oil.

Sorry for steering ya wrong Snake. My 66 only has a single contact switch in the trans. Thats why mine works off the collum. Sorry to steer ya wrong bud.

Hi Don, I just put a new switch in my truck (727) it was only around $20 and we had one in stock at work. They are simple to change just jack it up on the drivers side like said above & you shouldn't lose too much oil.

Thanks Ron,I hope you are still keeping your car.

well to see if it is your switch put a metal paperclip between the outter 2 terminals of the boot on the Neutral safty switch, throw in R, and if the lights come on it's that, if not it's wiring. I got a new NSS from advanced auto for $12. Only problem is that the plunger isn't long enough for when I throw it in R to make the connection. I got one from Napa but the ends that go into the plug are too long and big. I suppose machining them will work

Great advice I will do that first as said the wires is great but I could be wrong.Thanksss for the tip.

My reverse lights were on a seperate switch on the steering column (when it was column shift)... of course, mine is a 68. The neutral safety switch on my car was a single contact that only took care of starting the engine. Is the 69 different? My column had a switch located on the steering column under the dash that had a pin that moved the switch to turn on and off the backup lights. Since the pin was plastic, it was common for that pin to break and then the backup lights wouldn't work.

My reverse lights were on a seperate switch on the steering column (when it was column shift)... of course, mine is a 68. The neutral safety switch on my car was a single contact that only took care of starting the engine. Is the 69 different? My column had a switch located on the steering column under the dash that had a pin that moved the switch to turn on and off the backup lights. Since the pin was plastic, it was common for that pin to break and then the backup lights wouldn't work.

Letsss hope redfish can answer.

Thanks again,just went and did the test ya said and have back up lights now so indeed its the switch.Thankssss a bunch.

-
Back