NEUTRAL SAFETY - Does anyone know

-

Treblig

Reaction score
I'm disassembling my console shifter mechanism on my 69 cuda. I need to install a neutral safety switch on the shifter because I'm putting a GM 2004r tranny in the car and won't be able to use the original 904 tranny switch. When I took the console apart I found that the shifter has these two threaded holes right where a neutral safety switch would be located. Did Mopar use a switch mounted on the shifter on other cars that used this shifter mechanism??? Could I use a Mopar neutral safety switch on this shifter without making the modifications that I am planning on doing?? You can see the mocked up switch location I plan to use (white piece of cardboard). I was planning on buying a small push button type switch and let the shifter run into it as you go to park but no need if Mopar makes one for this shifter already.

Thanks,
Treblig

Attachments

• DSC02101.JPG
    130.2 KB · Views: 378
  • DSC02108.JPG
    114.6 KB · Views: 383
  • DSC02110.JPG
    121.3 KB · Views: 369
The only switch Ma ever used on the shifter was the reverse lights, not neutral. Even the old push button TF had the NSS on the trans.

You might have to? rework the shift gate.

The only switch Ma ever used on the shifter was the reverse lights, not neutral. Even the old push button TF had the NSS on the trans.

You might have to? rework the shift gate.

Are you saying that there's a reverse light switch that fits on my shifter, where can I get one??? that would save me from having to put one on the 2004R tranny.

treblig

I looked on ebay and found this. Does anyone know if this will fit my 69 cuda with factory console floor shift. Does anyone have a pic of how it works so I can install it properly? The ebay website says "Mopar Console Floor Shifter Reverse Light Switch 1966-68 A B C Body Dart Charger". If the '68 cuda shifter and the '69 cuda shifter are the same it should work??

Treblig

Attachments

• $(KGrHqFHJCEFINDlGMmkBSHKg9uoVw~~60_57[1].jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 329
I'd have to dig out my old shifter. But yes, a console shifter prior to the 3 terminal NSS would have the reverse lamp switch on the shifter. Column shifter was mounted on the side of the column. Don't know if that switch is right, or not.

I think? MyMopar? Has a 67 Parts book you can download, but MAN they are hard to use!!

I looked on ebay and found this. Does anyone know if this will fit my 69 cuda with factory console floor shift. Does anyone have a pic of how it works so I can install it properly? The ebay website says "Mopar Console Floor Shifter Reverse Light Switch 1966-68 A B C Body Dart Charger". If the '68 cuda shifter and the '69 cuda shifter are the same it should work??

Treblig

that is the reverse lamp switch that mounts on your floor shifter.

Thanks Redfish!! Would you happen to know how it works, I know where it mounts. It has that plastic pin sticking out but I can't tell how it actuates when you can approach "reverse" from two different directions? I have the three pole tranny switch and the service manual for the 69 cuda so I have no idea how this one works.

Treblig

In the meantime here's a shot or two out of the '67 manual

Attachments

• switch2.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 306
  • backup.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 321
In the meantime here's a shot or two out of the '67 manual

Thanks 67Dart273, Those are pretty clear pics. Although the switch I saw on ebay looks a little different even though it's supposed to fit "Mopar Console Floor Shifter Reverse Light Switch 1966-68 A B C Body Dart Charger". Maybe they just made different styles or may this isn't OEM. It sells for $45 plus shipping. Unless some one says something different I'll order it and see if I can make it work. I'm getting close to putting the 2004R into my cuda and I need to get all these problems resolved so that everything goes smooth when I make the swap. My plan was to spice onto the two outside wires on the 904 NSS/reverse switch pigtail and run them to the console reverse light switch. Then attach a NSS switch to the shifter bracket so that it makes the connection when I put it in park using the center wire from the 904 three prong pigtail wire. I wish someone who has this type of switch could explain how the reverse switch actuates when the shifter can approach the switch from two different directions even though it only has that one plastic pin sticking out. I guess I'll just have to take a chance...worst case scenario I lose $45!!:violent1:

PS - They must be very similar because the one on ebay has the exact same plug on the pigtail as your pic.
Treblig

Attachments

• $T2eC16NHJF4FFk2+5u7UBSHKg2q(yw~~60_57[1].jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 314
the contact point that turns the lights on is sort of in the center of the switch travel. so open at park, closed at reverse, open again at neutral.
Once in your hand you will see whats right and what would wreck the switch.

the contact point that turns the lights on is sort of in the center of the switch travel. so open at park, closed at reverse, open again at neutral.
Once in your hand you will see whats right and what would wreck the switch.

OK Redfish, I'll give it a shot. Also my thanks to 67Dart, I really appreciate the help. My 69 Service Manual tells me all I need to know about the car I have and I'll share it with anyone unfortunately every year is a little different.

thanks,
Treblig

Redfish. I received the reverse light switch and after I looked at it for a while I realized how it works. I thought that the shifter would hit the switch as it went by but (like you said) the shifter pushes the switch all the way forward basically disengaging the circuit. When you shift out of PARK the spring forces the plastic lever back as you hit reverse making the circuit. Then as you go into NEUTRAL and DRIVE it totally disengages from the plastic pin opening the circuit again. I'm HAPPY!!!

Thanks, now to installation..
Treblig

Cool. Frankly, I don't care if the backup lights on mine work or not, LOL

I don't think they're required by law but I would hate to back up into something in a dark parking lot at night. Otherwise I wouldn't bother!! For those who are interested....it seems that many pre '69 shifters came with the reverse light switch in the console and many (if not all) '69 automatics have the two hole provision in the shifter even though the switch is on the tranny. I'm only writing this information in case anyone plans to swap trannys and end up with a tranny that has no switch provision.
If you look at the previous post by "67Dart273" you can see where the switch mounts on a pre '69 shifter and below you can see the two mounting holes in my '69 shifter.

Treblig

Attachments

• DSC02117.JPG
    119.3 KB · Views: 238
Finally got the wiring hooked up and the new switches mounted. Everything worked out perfect. The pre-'69 reverse light switch mounted in my '69 shifter and the wires hooked up easily. I even wired-in an override toggle switch in case the neutral safety switch ever fails. I'll make a small bracket to mount the toggle switch so that I can slide my fingers under the driver's side console to flip the switch if the shifter mounted N/S switch ever fails. The reverse switch worked exactly like "Redfish" predicted and is easy to figure out once you have it in your hands. Now that I have all these switches hooked-up and working I won't have to worry about them when I install the 2004r in my Cuda. Enjoy the pics!!!

treblig in tex

Attachments

• DSC02161.JPG
    116 KB · Views: 205
  • DSC02160.JPG
    116.5 KB · Views: 189
  • DSC02159.JPG
    114.2 KB · Views: 193
  • DSC02203.JPG
    122.8 KB · Views: 185
  • DSC02202.JPG
    131 KB · Views: 202