neutral safety switch/tranny

-

Nite Moves

Reaction score
Im looking for some help in regards to the 3 wires that come off the Neutral safety switch at the trans.(904) 3 wires. I believe the brown/yellow stripe goes to starter relay but were do the 2 others go? Thanks in advance. BTW i have a great wiring diagram but it dosent show anything at the switch

the other 2 wires are reverse lamp circuit.

The center goes to neutral safety, the outer two are reverse lighting, as stated. This way the plug can be installed either way and still be correct and work.

Correct. The center wire (NSS) gets grounded to the tranny frame when in P or N. That enables the starter relay coil.

So I have the brown/yellow to relay, motor strats and runs. So I need the other 2 wires hooked up. Im running 318/904 auto with a B&M shifter.....do any of the remaining wires go to shifter..BTW no diagram with shifter. Thanks all:prayer:

I think no wires to go your shifter ED, at least there is non going to mine you reverse lights go on when the shift is at R down inside the tranny.

Edd, not familiar with BM shifters, but take a look in your service manual. There is a back up lamp switch there. Not sure if thats where the connection is to be made or not. Chapter 21 page 46.
Its been a while since I messed with that stuff, so my memory is fuzzy to say the least.

Edd, not familiar with BM shifters, but take a look in your service manual. There is a back up lamp switch there. Not sure if thats where the connection is to be made or not. Chapter 21 page 46.
Its been a while since I messed with that stuff, so my memory is fuzzy to say the least.

Pretty sure it at the tranny Steve. someone clarify.

What you are being told is the usual way this hooks up, But the 1967 is different. In later years, a 3 wire combined NSSS+backup light switch was used and the outer 2 wires go back up to the bulkhead connectors; 1 receives 12v from the same fuse that runs the turn signals and radio and the other goes back to the rear body harness to feed power to the backup lights.

What may be confusing in 1967 is that the NSS and backup light switches were 2 separate switches on the trannie. So you may have a newer trannie and the older harness.

Was this an original auto trans car and does it have the original trannie? (You can tell as that would have a single wire switch for the NSS.) And does it have a console? Please let us know. Lacking that info....

See if you can find one of 2 wire pairs/connections:
1) Look at the bulkkhead connectors and see if you can ID connections F and H. If there are 2 purple wires going from there on the engine side then those are what should connect to the 2 outer wires on a newer 3 wire switch. (This also means the was formerly a manual trans car.)
2) If no wires go to F and H on the engine side, but there are a matching white and purple wire on the inside connections at F and H, then you can wire into those.
3) OR, you can dig around in the car to see if there is a 2 pin connection to the auto trans that drops into the tunnel (it may have been pulled up under the carpet) under the console area. If so, then let us know and we can figure out how to wire that into a newer 3 wire combined NSS and backup switch. That 'through the tunnel' harness does connect into the console light harness in some fashion if you have the console option.

And I have never seen the 1967 NSS; it may that the 3 wire combined NSS+backup switch fits into the same hole but does not work the backup part.....that requires some looking up so please answer the questions about do you have the original auto trannie or what...

BTW, I am using the wiring diagram from here: http://www.mymopar.com/index.php?pid=27

Without knowing what model trans or which vintage rooster comb is inside the reverse lamp switch location cant be determined. Late model trans with 3 wire switch on it.. Wires at left and right of center are the reverse lamps circuit.
Earlier model trans with single wire switch on it.. Reverse lamp switch is mounted on whatever shifter is used.

What you are being told is the usual way this hooks up, But the 1967 is different. In later years, a 3 wire combined NSSS+backup light switch was used and the outer 2 wires go back up to the bulkhead connectors; 1 receives 12v from the same fuse that runs the turn signals and radio and the other goes back to the rear body harness to feed power to the backup lights.

What may be confusing in 1967 is that the NSS and backup light switches were 2 separate switches on the trannie. So you may have a newer trannie and the older harness.

Was this an original auto trans car and does it have the original trannie? (You can tell as that would have a single wire switch for the NSS.) And does it have a console? Please let us know. Lacking that info....

See if you can find one of 2 wire pairs/connections:
1) Look at the bulkkhead connectors and see if you can ID connections F and H. If there are 2 purple wires going from there on the engine side then those are what should connect to the 2 outer wires on a newer 3 wire switch. (This also means the was formerly a manual trans car.)
2) If no wires go to F and H on the engine side, but there are a matching white and purple wire on the inside connections at F and H, then you can wire into those.
3) OR, you can dig around in the car to see if there is a 2 pin connection to the auto trans that drops into the tunnel (it may have been pulled up under the carpet) under the console area. If so, then let us know and we can figure out how to wire that into a newer 3 wire combined NSS and backup switch. That 'through the tunnel' harness does connect into the console light harness in some fashion if you have the console option.

And I have never seen the 1967 NSS; it may that the 3 wire combined NSS+backup switch fits into the same hole but does not work the backup part.....that requires some looking up so please answer the questions about do you have the original auto trannie or what...

BTW, I am using the wiring diagram from here: http://www.mymopar.com/index.php?pid=27

As far as I know the good fellow I got the motor and trans from said its all a 1973 motor/trans. combo. I know its a 73 318 for sure. I thought and use this freely..LOL that my B&M shifter came with a neutral safety switch....there are 2 switches on it is all. One for lights at night then the other is on the selector section. 67 is a bit different I know that's what is confusing me some... hell a lot. Rev lamps in the bumper and all. Thanks for the help everyone.

OK, well the NSS in the trannie is 'more safe' IMO since it really reflects the gear selection of the trannie itself. Just hook up the center wire in the 3 wire '73 NSS/backup switch to the proper point on the starter relay, and you should be good on that part.

Do you want to mess with the backup lights? Is that the remaining issue? Again, does this car have the stock console or not? Or does the B&M shifter just sit on the tunnel by itself?

When you say there are 2 switches on the B&M shifter, do you mean that the 2nd one is for the backup lights?

Earlier model trans with single wire switch on it.. Reverse lamp switch is mounted on whatever shifter is used.

Curiously, where did the reverse lamp switch mount on column automatics? The PO of my 67 Dart removed the switch (it was bad), I don't see anyplace within reach of the wires that it would mount, nor what actuated it. Clearly it was on the column under the dash, but where? I d/l'ed the service manual, but it didn't show it either.

If the original column is still present there will be a opening in the top side where a nylon pin would stick out. That pin is probably what broke ( by design ).
Pics and more details in other threads.

Well, I THINK i figured it all out. Thanks to everyone. I believe this to be it??????????The 2 remaining wires i believe go to the Factory 67 Dart only lamp on the bottom side of dash to let you know your in reverse.......Positive,no 95% sure yes. I dug up info on a Mega shifter B&M. It does come with a Neutral safety switch but its not needed for my year and application....I found the diagrams and info in the weirdest place. Thanks everyone.

Attachments

• IMG_0309.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 196
  • IMG_0311.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 199
the 2 extra wires do not go to the shifter or the dash lamp { tho the dash lamp is probably in the circuit with the back up lights} the wires go to the bulkhead connector then from there one goes to the body harness the other to the previously described power source , in the 69 barracuda they are terminals C and D on the bulkhead connector , go to mymopar.com and search for the wiring diagrams then save the ones that apply to your car , engine and trans combo , these are full color diagrams that are easy to read and free , in this case you need to get the ones for your car and the later ones for you trans .

the 2 extra wires do not go to the shifter or the dash lamp { tho the dash lamp is probably in the circuit with the back up lights} the wires go to the bulkhead connector then from there one goes to the body harness the other to the previously described power source , in the 69 barracuda they are terminals C and D on the bulkhead connector , go to mymopar.com and search for the wiring diagrams then save the ones that apply to your car , engine and trans combo , these are full color diagrams that are easy to read and free , in this case you need to get the ones for your car and the later ones for you trans .

Dam Dude,,,,,,,my bubble just burst:violent1:...LOL. I will do this and thanks

Dam Dude,,,,,,,my bubble just burst:violent1:...LOL. I will do this and thanks

LOL I happen to be tracing this very circuit in the vain hope that the reverse lights that I have never before had will actually become functional .

Is there a switch on the lower end of the steering column involved with the reverse lights? I seem to recall such a thing on a 68 column, but not on a 69 column. Wondering if a 67 has the same deal as a 68.

............Steves pic is for a 69 up, but it is right for ur 73 tranny, so u could wire it in..............kim..........

thanks for the source link there Steve , that pigtail is supposed to have a 45 degree connector on the other end of the purple and the black with white trace leads , at least mine did until I found out nobody local had the female half of the connection so it got cut off , the leads are now plugged directly into the bulkhead connector slots C&D .

thanks for the source link there Steve , that pigtail is supposed to have a 45 degree connector on the other end of the purple and the black with white trace leads , at least mine did until I found out nobody local had the female half of the connection so it got cut off , the leads are now plugged directly into the bulkhead connector slots C&D .

They didn't always have another connector between the bulkhead connector and switch connector . That's another one that they added for ease of assembly.

They didn't always have another connector between the bulkhead connector and switch connector . That's another one that they added for ease of assembly.

Yeah I figured it was so they could mass produce the harness for both Manual and Auto trans.

-
Back