Neutral safety switch

-

Duster Drag Car

Reaction score
whats the best way to hook up a neutral safety switch on a duster with a stock starter relay to a B&M ratchet shifter, im aware of the 2 micro switches on the shifter, which one do i use and do i run it to both wires on the starter relay or just one. thanks for any help

i use the stock neutral safety switch on the transmission...the center wire is the NSS...run it to the starter relay switch with the G terminal...the G is for Ground. The NSS provides the ground for the starter relay to work went it is in park or neutral.....pretty simple.

X2. If you are still using the stock starter relay, the switch on the trans is probably MUCH more reliable. If the shifter should get a little out of adjustment, it could start in gear

X3, but I'll add my latest debacle as food for thought. I was at the ready line (before the burn out box) 2 weeks ago when I tried to start the car and....nuthin....no click of the starter, nuthin. I realized that my neutral safety switch wire must have come off, but by the time I got under my hood, hooked up my jump wire (to ground the neutral safety switch on the starter relay) it was too late....The other car got a competition bye. This was after I had bought back in because I was a first round runner up...I was NOT very happy. When I got home I confirmed what had happened, the neutral safety switch wire had wiggled off the plug on the transmission.

So my fix was (thanks to my friend Matt for showing me this), I ran the neutral safety switch wire through a toggle switch on my dash, so if this ever happens again I can flip the switch from inside the car (completing the circuit) and still have a chance to go on to the next round.

X,:thumblef::thumblef::thumblef:

Grate idea, i should incorporate that into my ride!!!

Probably a better idea to make sure you can "crank" is to bypass the starter relay completely "for emergencies. Buy a good heavy duty starter button, and RESOLVE NOT to use it routinely.

Hook it to the battery stud and the solenoid terminal of the starter relay. That way, ANYTHING can go wrong with the crank circuit, and if the starter is still good, you can still crank it.

I would not brag to tech inspection about this. (I'm sure you know, NSS is required) Might be good to hide it up under the dash, etc.

-
Back