neutral safety switch.

-

Roy McLeod

Reaction score
I took my slant 6 (225) and transmission out to detail the engine compartment of my 67 Dart GT a few moths ago. I installed a new headlight/engine harness as well. Now it's time to get is started again & I can't locate the harness from the switch on the transmission to the main harness. I've forgotten the routing. The new harness is great. It hooks up at all the right connections including the starter relay.
Help please?

not sure if this is what you are looking for but....the center pin on the Neutral safety switch goes to the Starter Relay switch G lug....G for ground...the other two pins on the NSS is for the back up lights.....there should be a harness that has 3 plugs in it that come from the transmission

A 67 would have a single brown wire from the transmission to the starter relay.
Ring terminal on one end, slip-on on the other.

It typically runs up along the top of the transmission and following the harnesses from the wiper motor to the relay.

Alan

Last edited:
Yep, odd as it may seem, this single brown wire was pretty much just tossed in along beside the taped harnesses for automatic trans builds. Mid 1968 the reverse lamp switch from automatic builds moved out of the cabin and down to trans, like the manual trans builds. Those 2 wires went out through previously unused ports of wiper motor connector of bulkhead. The brown wire from starter relay joined those to become a 3 wire harness to a 3 post dual function switch.

Manual or auto? If Manual I would not have install a neutral safety switch. Every time
a cold engine is started with the clutch depressed it stresses the thrust bearing.

I took my slant 6 (225) and transmission out to detail the engine compartment of my 67 Dart GT a few moths ago. I installed a new headlight/engine harness as well. Now it's time to get is started again & I can't locate the harness from the switch on the transmission to the main harness. I've forgotten the routing. The new harness is great. It hooks up at all the right connections including the starter relay.
Help please?

Thanks guys. I was thinking that a connection to the NSW would be included in the new wiring harness. Not running a separate one from the relay. There are already 2 on the male connectors from the harness on the relay.

IF you have an automatic it would have the neutral safety, a single wire.
IF you have a manual it would have NO neutral safety.

IF you have an automatic the neutral safety wire is a separate harness and not part of the engine/forward lamp harness, therefore it wouldn't have been included.

Why the factory chose to make it separate? it is just a single wire, no point in integrating it as not all cars would have it.

IF you have an automatic it would look like this.
The yellow wire is the ignition, the brown wire has a special connector housing that has a guard/finger so it could only go in that location.
IF you have a manual the relay is different and doesn't have the terminal for the neutral safety wire.
Image1.jpg

Alan

Last edited:
IF you have an automatic you should have a relay like this
s-l500.jpg

IF you have a manual you should have a relay like this
note: the missing terminal soldered to the housing
s-l500 (1).jpg

Alan

-
Back